Finding a place to rent is nigh on impossible

Perth is a city of 2,118,000 people.
The were 882,372 homes in Perth last year.
Of these there are only 2,179 homes available for rent.
I wonder how those who are successful in gaining a new rental do it?
Do they offer more than the asking price?
Do they pay 6/12 months in advance?
I have been in my rental for eight and a half years now. How can I move? What are the chances of me being a successful applicant?
I am not saying I am being evicted or want to move but what would happen if I was evicted for what ever reason?
What is the rental situation where you live?
Plenty of rental stock? Or are there one hundred plus applicant for each new rental when it come onto the market?

Rental stock is always a challenge. But, why rent when you can buy?

Have you considered alternative housing options such as vanlife, tiny homes (off grid) etc. The aim should be to have a freehold living space in your retirement since your income will be limited.

2 Likes

Most definitely considering van life.
Driving around Australia forever seems very promising to me. What marvellous sights await me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The housing situation everywhere is just “Radio Rental” :icon_wink:

1 Like

Where I live two bedroom houses for rent cost £900 per month plus council tax etc . Many now are being sold due to changes in the law which seem to have concerned landlords and many tenants have been evicted , families with young children desperate for a home , no council properties available and they can’t afford the cost of a new home . The wages here are low , usually minimum wage which I think is £10.15 an hour .

It’s a big concern nationally .

1 Like

Back in the 70s we bought our 1st home , a brand-new three bed mid terrace in Fareham .
My husband a self-employed bricklayer walked into the Halifax building society and said he’d like a mortgage.
He had 3 yrs tax accounts, was earning approximately ÂŁ50 a week, with a ÂŁ400 deposit.
He wasn’t 21yr his mum had to stand as guarantor.

It was as easy as that !

2 Likes

Very rarely is a rental property on the market for more than a couple of days in Staffordshire.
Estate agents have a waiting list of people wanting to rent,one leaves a rental home and it has a new tenant in days.

1 Like

Gosh Ripple in the 70s we tried to buy our first house . It cost ÂŁ11000 and we had a deposit of ÂŁ1000

We were laughed out of the office by an AH oik at the Leeds and Holbeck BS .

We closed out account with them on the way out

2 Likes

No rentals at all where I live people who want to rent in desperation post on village forums asking for rooms in houses.

I feel sorry for young people as there is very little affordable houses to buy either…something has to change its just not fair.

1 Like

It’s the same down here along the south coast. In all the years I’ve been renting out, I’ve never had to advertise. I still have a list of applicants waiting for one of mine to become vacant. Usually though, an outgoing tenant will recommend a friend ready to be fully vetted and with a guarantor already in place👍

2 Likes

There seems to be very little real action being taken to rectify the situation as well.
Australia has recorded a surplus of $19 billion for the 12 months to May. How much of that will go towards the housing/rental crisis? Next to nothing

I bought a house in 1984 for $17,000. Instant approval with only one pay check shown.

Don’t worry it will sort itself out

1 Like

It was at the end of 71 .
ÂŁ400 was a 20% deposit , I think we had to borrow another hundred
Almost immediately after buying our first home my husband joined a self build group 2years later we moved into a wonderful semi .
So it went on house building living In caravans on site all round Hampshire … till ending up in the new Forest .I’ve since sold that
For a home by the sea .

1 Like

This was 1977

1 Like

Wowser one pay check !! I can’t beat that :sunglasses:

1 Like

It is good to know that there are houses hitting the market over the coming years.
The issue with social housing is that Governments have failed to add to the stock adequately over the previous 3/4 decades.

It’s the same in the uk

Its dropped, 2.5 to 1.56 so, who needs all these new houses?

I will assume you are talking about the birth rate.
Australia alone is over 100,000 houses short of requirements.
UK has a social housing wait list of over 1 million.
The US is short 4 million homes.
Canada requires an extra 3.5 million homes by 2030
NZ is short 100,000 houses.
Sweden is spiralling downward in providing housing for all.
On and on it goes