Film - the most recent you have seen?

Watched ‘Restless Natives’ last night. Scottish highwaymen motorcyclists on a Suzuki 125cc stop tourist coaches demanding money and valuables in comic ways. Not a nasty film and has music from Big Country playing throughout. Early Eighties film. Youngish Bernard Hill appears in it.

Watched Denzil Washington in two of the three movies “Equalizer”.I find his character quite fascinating.

The Great Debaters (2007)

1935 Marshall Texas. A small unknown all-black college debate team is led by a radical progressive professor (Denzel Washington) and transformed into a national powerhouse during the Great Depression. Eventually they are the first black team to openly debate completely white colleges cumulating with Harvard University. There is plenty of other era action happening in the background involving the struggle for civil rights. The movie gets a 7 out of 10.

Destroy All Monsters (1968)

In this 1968 Toho release, an alien race comes to Earth planning on enslaving the population. They take control of all of the Earth’s monsters and turn them into weapons against humanity, attacking all of the planet’s major cities. Eventually, they bring in their ultimate weapon - the space monster King Ghidorah - to finish off the planet. Godzilla leads an All-Star monster cast including Mothra, Rodan, Mantra, Baragon and more. Destroy All Monsters gets a 7 out of 10.

Milk Money (1994)

Three young boys pool their money and pay V, a kindhearted prostitute, to strip for them. Afterward, she drives them home to the suburbs – but then her car breaks down. It’s just as well, though, because a mobster named Waltzer is after her, and V realizes the suburbs are the perfect place to hide. This Rom-Com gets a 7 out of 10.

Greased Lightning (1977)

Richard Pryor assumes the role of Wendell Scott, the first black NASCAR racecar driver. From a taxi driver, to a moonshiner, to eventually a racecar driver on the local circuits, Scott overcame the bias and racism of the 1940s and proved that he could run and beat the competition. In 1970, he won his first NASCAR race becoming the first black man to win at every level of stock car racing. A wild ride, Greased Lightning gets a 7 out of 10.

The Railway Man…

Based on a true story.
Very interesting ending…

I liked everything Pink Floyd did until “The Wall”. I still have all the previous LPs but hated Dark Side of the Moon and never bought it.

For some inexplicable reason I watched Amy’s F$$k It List that I had on my HDD and quite enjoyed it. It had a dark side.

The Alamo (1960)

John Wayne’s directorial debut, he picks a topic that is the Texan equivalent to 9/11. The defense of the Alamo against the superior forces of the Mexican Army has always held a place dear to American’s hearts. John Wayne (Davey Crockett), Richard Widmark (Jim Bowie) and Richard Boone (Sam Houston) all play leading roles in this historic retelling. This 3.5 hour saga receives much criticism, but it brings the historic figures to life and gives one an insight to what these heroes might have experienced during their final days. It gets an 8 out of 10.

1 Like

Death Race 2000 (1975)

In the dystopian future created by Roger Corman, the Transcontinental Road Race has become the national sport. More than just a race, points are scored by killing individuals along the route on the coast-to-coast race. Frankenstein (David Carradine), a close personal friend of mine, and Machine Gun Joe (Sylvester Stallone) lead the pack looking to win the race. Ultra-Campy is the word of the day as the rebels look to end the race and restore freedom to America. A 7 out of 10.

Xanadu (1980)

This movie had everything possible going for it. Olivia Newton-John was the hottest Hollywood commodity going. Gene Kelly was the king of musicals. ELO was one of the hottest bands at the time and developed a whole new soundtrack just for the movie. Finally, it looked to capitalize on the hottest trend of roller skating. The movie had big production musical sets, a quality script and some of the freshest special effects seen in the industry. Yet somehow this movie bombed harder than just about any film in history. Nevertheless, it still gets a 7 out of 10.

Alice in Wonderland

Narc (2002)

Probably the best movie of 2002 that nobody actually saw. A hard-hitting, realistic look at the undercover police world with a bitter taste of the cases that they work. Jason Patric and Ray Liotia play the parts of two Detroit police offers tasked with bringing the killers of a fellow undercover officer to justice.

Dark, gritty and overwhelming, Narc doesn’t sugarcoat law enforcement but somehow keeps the experience real without turning the opinion of the viewer against the officers, who often bend the rules as far as they can without going over the edge.

Excellent drama, along with some very realistic dialog and some top-notch acting brings this title to the forefront of its niche. I guarantee you won’t figure out “who done it” until the very end. Definitely not a date night movie, or something to watch while the kids are around, but something perfect for a rainy afternoon flick with the guys. An 8 out of 10.

Caveman (1981)

Ringo Starr, Dennis Quaid and Shelly Long lead an awesome cast in an intensive examination of mankind’s past. Before there was fire, before there were civilizations, the caveman struggled for daily existence in this comic adventure. Don’t Zug Zug yourself by missing this forgotten gem. A 7 out of 10.

Stealth (2005)

Welcome to aerial warfare of the future. Code name “Tin Man,” this AI-run advanced warfare plane is being introduced into our military. Included in a 3-person flight team, Tin Man gets hit by lightning and begins to evolve, taking the war to the enemy against orders. It is up to his teammates to either bring him back or take him down. Jessica Biel, Josh Lucas, Jamie Foxx and Sam Shepard bring this Sci-fi action adventure to life. A 6 out of 10.

Probably because it was absolute mind numbingly tedious crap.

Congo (1995)

A talking ape, a university professor, a communications company and a con man join forces to discover a hidden diamond mine in Africa while journeying to return the ape to her native lands. Fighting rebel forces, killer apes and an active volcano, these adventurers take on all challenges. It gets a 6 out of 10.

Bandolero! (1968)

Dean Martin, George Kennedy, James Stewart and Raquel Welch star in this western classic. Martin and Stewart are brothers on the run from a town sheriff (Kennedy) for robbing a bank and killing bystanders. Welch is picked up along the way to be used as a hostage if necessary. Both the posse and the gang must join forces when attacked by Mexican bandoleros in an abandoned town. Bullets fly and bodies drop in the standard western formula. A 7 out of 10.