Favourite Pie?

Sorry I’m a bit late replying Joe, not been online for a few days. I’m glad you liked them at that price. Though they do say you get what you pay for. I’d rather pay a bit ore for a decent pie than a cheapo that’s bulked out with god knows what.

Todays pie - steak & mature cheddar!!! - will make some mash (sweet potato & swede to go with it)

Steak & mature cheddar pie - FABULOUS!!!

This sounds absolutely delicious!!! I must remember to try it, cept I never buy joints of beef, just for myself.

I do like a good Cornish pasty, my favourite pie has to be cheese and onion made properly with potatoes. Hubby says it’s sacrilege but i prefer pies cold!

I decided to try them after this (a bit belated). My order arrived today and tried the pasty at lunchtime - it was the best I’ve tasted.

Will have a steak & potato with some mash later tonight.
Deffo worth the extra money.

A Welsh oggie, so big I cut one in half and it does me two meals.

Never heard of it?
May have to look into that…

Too expensive for me…unfortunately thanks to the supermarkets five local butchers have been forced to close in recent years.
One of the few left that made delicious pies has been forced by 'Elf and Safety to cease baking without having a complete refit But he is allowed to sell meat??..I’ve been in the back and the premises are spotless…defeats me!

Defeats me as well buddy!
I don’t mind paying a bit extra though.

My dad was a butcher and he retired early due to supermarkets as well, and I’m going back quite some time.

I’m rather partial to the fresh pies cooked and sold by Morrisons. The chunky steak filling is rather nice. Plenty of meat, with gravy, and lovely pastry. They usually sell two for £1.90 or £1 each. I bought two recently discounted down to 90 or 99p: had one that evening and have frozen the other. Got quite excited when I spotted it an hour or so ago.

Are those the ones with Lamb and Leeks in? If so - they are delicious.:-D:-D

They are giant sized pasties, basically a complete meal in a shortcrust pastry filled with lamb, mint, potatoes, veg and leeks of course. They do also make them with beef. The tastiest ones I’ve had are from a shop in Llangollen.

There is nothing in the world like an Aussie meat pie - any of these will do me:

[CENTER]http://www.sargents.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/FrontShotTradCurry.jpg

http://www.sargents.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/TradChick4pkFrontPackClosedPie_000.jpg[/CENTER]

I usually have a packet of those in the freezer but I am also very fond of the pork pies from Coles but they only come in once a week

[CENTER]http://www.over50sforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3434&d=1500621165[/CENTER]

Sorry its a bit fuzzy but it was taken with my phone and my hands were shaking with anticipation.

You surprise me…I have in the past travelled quite a distance to Morrisons specifically to buy those pies…but not anymore…the quality has gone down recently and I find they are all pastry now with very little meat.
The Fray Bentos pies in the tin are cheap at only £1 recently…plenty of meat but I don’t rate the pastry.

Morning Pie Man, My favourite pie used to be the good old fashioned home-made Apple or Apple and Blackberry Pie, but no more…my favourite ever since I first made it is now the Rhubarb and Ginger Pie. So yum I have been known to eat two large slices of it with double cream at the same time! and that was when I was on a strict diet!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Can you tell me whereabouts the shop is in Llangollen Leia? is it this side of the bridge over the river or the other side. He who must obey is always working around Llangollen every week and if they are as delish as you say, wouldn’t mind him getting some to try. Thanks xx

The shop is on the town side of the bridge, on the opposite corner of the bus terminus. They oggies are huge and absolutely delicious :slight_smile:

Thanks Leia, Is it the Baker’s shop. When I told he who must obey, he said if it is, (this was before I saw your reply) he said it must be the baker shop where he gets his coffee from. Really nice shop if it is.
Anyway, now you have said where it is, next time he is there I will ask him to get two for the weekend. (good job I always put his lunchbox into a Coolbag with Ice Blocks.) That will keep em cold in this weather, Must remind him to put them into his lunch box instead of leaving in paper bags though or they will be wringing wet by the time he gets home with them. :-D:-D

Will be sure to give you my verdict once I try one. x

The shop I was talking about is called Baileys or The Town Hall stores and is near to the bus stops which are just around the corner. They have a Facebook page so you can read the reviews.

and this is their website

http://www.baileysfinefoods.com/our-story

If you buy two oggies you’ll be amazed how big and heavy they are but I can recommend the lamb and mint oggies, one will definitely feed two people :slight_smile: They sell lots of other goodies too.

There is also another shop actually called The Oggie Shop on Castle Street but I wasn’t meaning there… Sorry, I’m not sure which shop is called The Baker’s shop. You’ve got me wanting to return there now :slight_smile: