Favourite Charity at Christmas?

Sounds familiar. Friends of ours had the same issue, and they live around 150 yards from a busyish road. Have to admit that I’m struggling to work out what sort of households that sanctuary would accept. Ironically, the sanctuary itself isn’t exactly out in the sticks!!

I can see their logic: many cats seem to get run over, but on the other hand many stray quite far and widely. Although we live on a busy road our cats seem to avoid it, preferring to visit (and probably poo in) neighbours’ gardens behind us.

2 Likes

As I have moved further away, unable to visit Monkey World in Dorset, and in lieu of Christmas gifts to my brother and some friends who I don’t get to see nowadays, I go onto MW’s Amazon wish list and order something they need.

1 Like

Cat’s are a worry with roads and their wandering

Have ever considered indoor cats or a catio?

Can’t speak for JBR @Maree, but we’ve always had cats that are free to wander as they see fit. Never been an issue, although no doubt some neighbours might not be quite so keen.

1 Like

No, not ‘indoor cats’ as I think that would be cruel.

As for a ‘catio’, possibly. If I could construct something large enough which would give them the freedom to roam and investigate new places and, of course, ‘do the necessary’, I’d do it. However, that would have to encompass at least our entire back garden.
The trouble is that fences would be inadequate: cats are good at climbing!

2 Likes

Donkey Sanctuary, it’s fairly local & I go regularly, or did, it’s a good day out. I adopted a mule called Millie, but she is now off the adoption list, due to health problems, so I need to chose another.

1 Like

I give to three every year…Heifer International, St. Jude’s Children Hospital (lets all be treated without any bills, and pays all hotel bills for parents of patients), and the private Hospice Home in FL that took care of my mom.

During the year, it’s the USO and Wounded Warrior Project.

1 Like

And done!

1 Like

[QUOTE]That’s nice, I support Cat’s Protection too.

Actually, looking back, there’s lots of us who supporting the kitties ![🐈‍⬛][/QUOTE]

Good for you, Maree.
It isn’t Cat’s Protection I support, though, but the specific cat rescue place where we got our two cats three years ago. I have sent them £10 a month ever since as I think they do invaluable work.

2 Likes

@Jazzi I long to go to Monkey World, love the TV series. What wonderful work they do rescuing primates from all over the world. When I left work in October my colleagues “adopted” an Orang from WWF for me.

Been twice, I think, when I used to stay in Bournemouth. Was never lucky enough to see Alison, Jeremy or Mike wandering about, but loved watching the primates. I would hire one of their electric scooters as the park is quite big, and I’d keep going back to some of the enclosures. (Yes, I’ve watched every series/show. Loved watching Thelma grow. :heart_eyes:)

1 Like

I have also really enjoyed watching Thelma grow up, don’t her uncles spoil her. Have also loved watching Oshine looking after the baby’s much like dear Sally did with the orphaned or rejected chimps.

When I was last there, a female visitor was saying that Jeremy would usually find time most evenings around 5 to visit Sally. Seems she would be his favourite (after Amy), but I was unable to hang around to see him.

1 Like

Back to topic. I hope all of you will be donating to Archewell. They do some absolutely sniffing work. Here’s one example:

Yeah, I’ll get right on to that one, not! :rage:

I think Dex has fallen under MeAgain’s spell!

Actually, I think it’s very nice that one person out of the UK’s population of 70 million supports her and her dog.

1 Like

Ouch!

1 Like

Nothing just for the Christmas times, instead we (my good lady and myself) support several throughout the year by collecting cash (tin shaking) and collecting in the form of unwanted items to sell or pass onwards, and also occassionally helping out in person.
Mostly donations are passed out by the postcode lottery we both have registered with and in other ways The Salvation Army sees to the rest; although there is another we are keen to promote Period Poverty Home (periodpoverty.uk) is one I urge all women everywhere to support in every way possible. . . go on, you know it makes sense :ok_hand::+1: … my thanks in advance if you can :hugs:

2 Likes

3 Likes