Family History who do you think you are

It don’t matter where you came from, its all relative. :biking_man: :walking_man:

1 Like

Yes. Until recently I’ve subscribed to both Find My Past and Ancestry but as I’m spending less and less time researching, I’ve kept FMP and cancelled Ancestry. BUT there are loads of other non-subscription sites which can give amazing results.

1 Like

The 1841 census was the first to give so many details of residents, which is why it was transcribed. Prior to 1841 it’s important to physically visit the area and the local archives to access church registers to trace your ancestors bmd’s.

1 Like

Yes I suppose you do my plan is to carry on where my Mom left off and visit some of the places especially the churches mentioned in marriage etc certificates and put a photo next to the document etc.

1 Like

Is anyone prepared to pay for their History? :biking_man:

If you want an easy way of recording your findings and printing out your research in a logical format, go to www.legacyfamilytree.com. You’ll be able to download a free programme which is very easy to use. Android only though.

1 Like

Thanks very much,

Yes - lots of people. I often took commissions to research family history.

1 Like

No. I’m not interested in knowing anything about where I came from. I’ve seen all I need to :smirk:

1 Like

I found the Ancestry of my Husbands Family to be so compelling, that I have spent many a year now researching and continue to do so.
Husband has no interest and a real shame for me, but I just except it is something you like to do or not.
I love reading History so am easy to pick up the Hobby…His family is quite extradinary and very clever up to a point in time…then poverty happened.
Riches to Rags…Highly Skilled to more Mr. Average…

2 Likes

Names is for Tombstones. :biking_man:

@spitfire and You have to “Live and let Die”

1 Like

Yes - I subscribe to Ancestry.com. Also in the good old BC (before Covid) days I used to sometimes go up to the History Centre at the Mormon Church and, although they did not charge, I used to leave a donation as they were so helpful.

1 Like

@Kazz
“Really Ms Kazz, have you no respect for the Dead”

I absoulutely hate how ‘‘they’’ have to go around the globe and dig up the dead souls resting places…Whether Pyamids or less…

Ancestry is a Families Past of course it is, but to many enthiasts it is much more than that…If you love it like I do then you have clues to the thrill of pairing up folk, often around the world,their past lives and how the revolved, the stories of how and when an d why…It is often the History you learn that intrigues us.

My Husband has little interest but that is his view not mine at all.
We have some very very strong links with some outstanding people and the suffereing of many also came to light.

I have been unable to trace Husbands Great Grandfather from just after the time He and his Wife and 3 Children came back from Australia.
… One child died in London soon after arriving by the ship from Australia and the youngest Son I traced to a School that he attended for a while…then he vanished from my seaches as did the Parents.

The third child was Husbands Grandfather and he lived in poverty in a house that was for the workers of a nearby Factory.
Ten Children and a Wife all living on one floor of the Cottage supplied via the Workplace.

Gainsborough Cottages,Hackney, London. Same town as his French Ancesters arrived in East London starting around 1681.
I Will do a thread and try and make it interesting. It is, but I am obviously biased…can be like looking at others Holiday snaps if your not careful… :thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, I know but I’m not really that interested now. One of my cousins, on my father’s side, has traced our common ancestors back to around 1400 last time I checked by visiting churches, etc. It seems I’m descended from farm labourers in Berkshire on that side of my family.

I do know that my surname came over to England with the Normans but, before that, it actually originated in Italy.

1 Like

deleted

That feeling is always a problem, you just need to wait, be patient. :biking_man: :walking_man:

:grinning: :biking_man: :walking_man: