Facial Recognition Technology now used by major stores

There are no laws governing facial recognition technology in Australia.

Yesterday, this was thrust into the spotlight when it was revealed major retail chains Bunnings, The Good Guys and Kmart were using facial recognition on customers.

An investigation by CHOICE magazine found the companies were “capturing the biometric data of their customers”, and 76 per cent of shoppers did not know the technology was used in Australian stores.

There are calls for the federal government to adopt the Human Rights Commission’s 2021 recommendation for a moratorium on using facial recognition technology in “high-risk circumstances” until more safeguards are in place.

Are your local shops using this technology?

sale of high quality skin masks could become the in thing?

My beard seems to stop it working at the airport, my passport photo and their facial recognition cameras never match and have to be processed manually.

1 Like

oh this sounds like lots of fun on the way - the ingenuity of the human brain to beat the machine!! - anymore ideas fellow punters?? - false beards even - wigs? heavy makeup for males and females?? - suntans overnight?

1 Like

Purdah!

So facial recognition never worked for me getting on a plane in Orlando, nor entering the UK, the wife’s failed in Orlando but was OK entering the UK make of that what you will.