Facebook problem

But can you do that if your post is a reply to someone else’s post? I don’t think so. I think you can only do that if you are posting a personal FB status update. Then the choices are are Friends / public / friends except…/ specific friends / only me / custom. When you respond to another post which is public, I can’t see any way you can get those choices.

Not if you post on a ‘closed’ group page on Facebook. Then only members, i.e. people who have joined that group, can view the content of the group.

If the original poster has decided to make it “public” then all replies will automatically be “public”…I thought Flowerpower was asking about her own posts though Bathsheba.

1 Like

From memory you can subdivide your “friends” into groups like “family” and can make posts only readable by these sub groups of people. They won’t be visible to anyone else.

Personally haven’t bothered but it can be done, however all my posts are only visible to friends. the only caveat to that is that if you mention a friend that post will be visible to their friends also.

Ah maybe she was. I assumed she was talking about making a comment on someone’s post on a public page.

Let me explain again. The FB page is a crochet one. So nothing sinister or dodgy! A question was asked by the site and I answered it. Very soon after I did, many of my friends replied to my post (nice comments by the way). None of these friends are crocheters so they would not have just come across it by chance. They must have had a notification that I posted there and then read my comment. I don’t think I have ever had a notification that a friend has posted on any other FB pages and the only comments of theirs that I read are on sites we both belong to like village sites and school reunion site.

I can only conclude that they don’t tend to post on Facebook pages as a rule, other than the ones you’ve mentioned that you all belong to. Because if they did post to other, public, Facebook pages, you would be notified. That’s how FB works.

It always annoys me, because I end up feeling restricted from posting replies to public posts because there’s at least one person who will always comment on my post, often challenging what I’ve said.

The group you are in is a public group. Funnily enough it happened to me only yesterday. I posted my latest lolly stick craft and some of my fb friends clicked like. I’m thinking eh? How’s that happen then I looked to see if the group is private and it isn’t.

Not sure why groups keep them public

I had all sorts of problems before I made my Facebook private…I dont post much there now as the family have a WhatsApp just for family and its much better and feels safer

Thanks. I realise that but friends must be notified that I have posted on there because as I keep saying, they can’t possibly just come across it by chance.

Not sure this is correct. Most of my friends have strong opinions about all sorts of things so I am sure they would be posting all over the place. i can’t believe that none of those friends don’t post.

Just found this, not sure if it will help but take a look, it might Flower

Thanks. Will take a look.

1 Like

Yes, your friends are being notified. I’m always notified if any of my FB friends post to a public page, and they are always notified if I post to a public page. As I said before, that’s how Facebook works.

I’ve got most of my settings set to private, as detailed in that article LQ. So no-one can see my friends list or the pages that I follow. But then it says that you can set your posts to be visible to ‘only me’ as well. Now, honestly, what would be the point in that? If everything you post cannot be seen by anyone at all, why on earth would you bother posting? You might as well just write a diary, and lock it in a drawer.

Then it goes on to say this:

How Do I Make My Comments Private on Facebook?

Unfortunately, you can’t hide your Facebook comments. Only the person who initially shared the post can change the privacy settings of that post. If they decide to hide or delete the post, the same thing will happen to your comment.

As long as the post’s privacy is set to Public, it will remain visible. And so will your comment.

yeah true Sheba, it doesn’t make any sense for no one to see your posts at all. I didn’t read the link, I just shared it in case it helped in anyway, that’ll teach me LOL .

If I had a group I would make it private as not everyone is interested in what we are interested in eh.

1 Like

I rarely post on fake book ( not a typing mistake) anything personal nowadays . So many people use it for attention seeking and showing off about their life styles . I do look at it because I read some lovely information from private sites . Occasionally I’ll like something. I do share nice pictures or poems onto my page but mostly keep them just for my personal view .

I unfollow those who continually post for attention . I do say at times I’m going to delete my account but I belong to some interesting private groups and I would lose them

Set all settings as private as much as you can .

My son calls it Face Ache! :rofl::rofl:

I only went on it a couple of years ago because we were organising a big school reunion and it did make that much easier. We then started a school site and it is so much easier for ex pupils to see what’s planned and what people are doing. Both these are Private sites.

I never share stuff (unless it’s something local like a lost child or lost dog) or “like” stuff that people post such as rubbish about “I have Down’s syndrome and I bet nobody will “like” me.” I just hate that sort of stuff.

I am Admin on our village site which is Private too. That’s really useful for local events, news and old photos etc and we have over 1,000 members now.

You are being incredibly patient with me Bathsheba :rofl:

The only notifications I get are if friends reply to a comment on a Private site (eg school) which somebody has made or if they post something new.

Here’s something you can try: click on the notifications ‘bell’ at the top right of your FB page, then click on the three little dots. In the drop down menu you will see ‘Notification settings’. Click on this and you can see all the different notifications that you can get on Facebook. This is where you can edit which you want to see and which you don’t!