Facebook problem

How do you stop friends from reading your posts on FB pages which are not Private?

I keep reading how to do it … although some advice is that you can’t but if that’s the case then why can’t I read all my friends comments on sites they visit?

It was only a crochet site but after I left a comment I was surprised to see about half a dozen friends reply to my comment and none of them are crocheters. :thinking:

I don’t get notified when any of them make comments on other FB pages.
Thanks

In your facebook settings, you click on Friends only.

No. I don’t want them to read my comments. :wink:

You only get notified if a person replies to your own comment. If they are responding to other posts, you would not get a notification of that particular comment.

Thanks. But how do they know i made a comment on a site they have nothing to do with? That’s what I don’t understand. I don’t get notifications when friends comment on sites. :thinking:

Flower, anyone can view any comments posted on any site, they may be just having a look around. I can go on many websites that I haven’t signed into, to see what others have posted.

The simple answer is … I do not subscribe to FB or any of the other social media membership sites.

1 Like

Except this one.

When you enter a FB post, click in the box under your name and you can select who can view your posting from there…

1 Like

That’s why I tend to post on FB groups that are ‘closed’, i.e. you have to join the group and be a member to post or view the content. I frequently post on several such groups, and none of my FB friends will be notified.

If I post on a public group/page, though, they will be notified I have posted. Yes, it annoys me too @Flowerpower.

1 Like

But can you do that if your post is a reply to someone else’s post? I don’t think so. I think you can only do that if you are posting a personal FB status update. Then the choices are are Friends / public / friends except…/ specific friends / only me / custom. When you respond to another post which is public, I can’t see any way you can get those choices.

Not if you post on a ‘closed’ group page on Facebook. Then only members, i.e. people who have joined that group, can view the content of the group.

If the original poster has decided to make it “public” then all replies will automatically be “public”…I thought Flowerpower was asking about her own posts though Bathsheba.

1 Like

From memory you can subdivide your “friends” into groups like “family” and can make posts only readable by these sub groups of people. They won’t be visible to anyone else.

Personally haven’t bothered but it can be done, however all my posts are only visible to friends. the only caveat to that is that if you mention a friend that post will be visible to their friends also.

Ah maybe she was. I assumed she was talking about making a comment on someone’s post on a public page.

Let me explain again. The FB page is a crochet one. So nothing sinister or dodgy! A question was asked by the site and I answered it. Very soon after I did, many of my friends replied to my post (nice comments by the way). None of these friends are crocheters so they would not have just come across it by chance. They must have had a notification that I posted there and then read my comment. I don’t think I have ever had a notification that a friend has posted on any other FB pages and the only comments of theirs that I read are on sites we both belong to like village sites and school reunion site.

I can only conclude that they don’t tend to post on Facebook pages as a rule, other than the ones you’ve mentioned that you all belong to. Because if they did post to other, public, Facebook pages, you would be notified. That’s how FB works.

It always annoys me, because I end up feeling restricted from posting replies to public posts because there’s at least one person who will always comment on my post, often challenging what I’ve said.

The group you are in is a public group. Funnily enough it happened to me only yesterday. I posted my latest lolly stick craft and some of my fb friends clicked like. I’m thinking eh? How’s that happen then I looked to see if the group is private and it isn’t.

Not sure why groups keep them public

I had all sorts of problems before I made my Facebook private…I dont post much there now as the family have a WhatsApp just for family and its much better and feels safer

Thanks. I realise that but friends must be notified that I have posted on there because as I keep saying, they can’t possibly just come across it by chance.