Eye test and new glasses

With any luck mine won’t need to be fixed, if I’m careful.
I was told to not bend from the waist (which I always have done), but to bend from the knees, and not to invert my head either. So as a result I gained a painful left knee from bending with the knees :icon_lol:
(I’ve reverted back to waist bending).

Yes,nail removal. OMG, another shiver job… shivers

Sorry Primus, off topic… (slaps own wrist)

Sorry. Me too. I’ll get Pesta to slap my wrist too.

I was told I have cataracts forming too. Apparently they don’t have to wait until they are ‘ripe’ these days, they can do it at any stage.

I had a fright about a week ago when I kept seeing something like shooting stars in the corner of one eye, it was horrible, kept thinking something was moving next to me.
I phoned my optician and she booked me in for the next day.

They have a scanner like the hospital has, and she took 9 photographs of the back of my eye from all different angles as she was a little concerned it might be a problem with my retina. It wasn’t, thank goodness, but she still phoned me on Saturday to see if it was still happening, or it was worse.
She said if it gets worse I am to ring her straightaway and she will get me in at the eye dept. at the hospital.
At the moment it is calming down - fingers crossed it will be alright.

That could certainly be the beginnings of vitreous detachment. Do you also see many ‘floaters’?

On its own, it may not be immediately serious, but your optician is correct and if it gets worse call her straight away.

Most importantly, if you see a dark ‘sheet’ beginning to cross your vision in that eye, obliterating anything behind it, it is almost certain to be retinal detachment, which is an emergency situation and needs immediate attention. If dealt with quickly, they can ‘spot weld’ the retina back in place with a laser.

Thanks JBR, and yes, she said much the same as you.
It’s a bit worrying on top of everything else that been going on this year.
Fingers crossed it doesn’t worsen or I will make sure I get help quickly.

1 Like

I have no idea why people should pay that sort of money for specs. :flushed:

We always just take the prescription and have them made online, all the styles you could want and excellently made. Never had a problem in the ten years or so we’ve been doing this, and the style I use now comes in at around £30 pair. No contest… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That sounds the best idea to me as well Barry.
Only thing is, how do they take your measurements to ensure the frames fit comfortably?

The sites have all the details you need for sizing Mups, including a virtual try on so that you can see if the style suits you. Most of the sites also have a money back if not satisfied policy too, but we have never had to return any up to yet.

There are quite a few of these sites now, the last one we used was Glasses Direct, but before that Glasses2you was a favourite… :blush:

With the ridiculous prices now charged at opticians ws thought there really is nothing to lose by trying a pair to check, and we’ve been buying them that way ever since. We’ve now got specs in every room of the house for the same price of one pair at the opticians!

As I said, it works for us… :wink:

Same here. First discovered at Specsavers, Worcester a couple of years ago. Last eye test (Jan this year) at Specsavers, Cannock showed they are still about the same size but, this time, I was told to have my eyes tested annually because of them.

1 Like

I have my eyes tested annually too. My cataracts haven’t got bigger either.
Guess there may come a time when they are so bad I’ll have to have them done, but with the NHS so stretched I’ll leave it for now.