Eye test and new glasses

:023:

Eye test a few weeks ago. I have cataracts too, but they are slow growing. Dread having the ops, but will have to eventually. Had new specs £175 just one pair as hardly any change & I can still use the old ones.

The ops were just fine. And vision is brilliant. I had specs since I was about 14 years old. Varifocals for most of my life. Not now…

I developed PVD (Posterior Vitreous Detachment) in one eye and blurred vision in the other a couple of weeks after my AZ vaccination. (As an aside, I’ve no proof it was from the jab but at the time there were thousands of eye problems listed on the Government website figures, more than anything else. I used to check every week on the numbers, but gave up when the masses had their jabs).

Anyway, I’ve still got the problems in both eyes and at some point this year (I think) will be due for an appt. Can’t remember when I last went, but it was pre Co-Vid days, so it must be 3 yrs since I last had an appt.

Hopefully my vision will improve with new lenses and I will be able to see better. I’m not impressed though … I could do without the expense. :icon_eek:

I know, it’s an irrational fear. I’ve got varifocals too, had them for years.

After the operation you wouldn’t need them.
And yes, I understand the irrational fear. I had it too. I told the surgeon afterwards that that I was very nervous during the operation. “Oh, I could have given you something for that.”
“Next time” was my comment. That gave him a smile. I had already both eyes done…

1 Like

Me too. I had a vitrectomy and epiretinal peel. Same eye as the cataract.
It was quite interesting too. They replaced the vitreous, or most of it, with liquid and (I suppose unavoidably) with a little gas. The interesting bit was being aware of a bubble presenting itself in the lower half of my vision. As time went by (2 or 3 weeks) the bubble got smaller and smaller until it finally disappeared.

Oh knickers, did you have to put that… I shiver over anything to do with eyes. Honest I do. Gives me the eebijeebis.
Glad it’s ok JB :023:

Thanks. But don’t worry. Again, I chose to have a local anaesthetic which resulted in no pain at all, though it was just beginning to come back at the end.
Yes, it sounds scary, doesn’t it? It wasn’t, though. Trust them!
I can think of much worse things, though. Like a toenail removal, for example. :scream:

Many years ago I started seeing a new optician who asked questions about my general health - my reply was everything was fine thanks. He asked the same question every time I saw him over a period of years, my reply was always the same. At age 50 I had a bone density scan which showed I had severe osteoporosis and a follow up blood test showed a massive about of calcium in the blood caused by a tumour on my parathyroid glands. After months of tests I eventually had my parathyroid glands removed and although it took over 10 years for my bone density scans to show normal, during my next appointment with the optician he said - so good to see you are better! Amazing what they can see through the skin and eyes.

With any luck mine won’t need to be fixed, if I’m careful.
I was told to not bend from the waist (which I always have done), but to bend from the knees, and not to invert my head either. So as a result I gained a painful left knee from bending with the knees :icon_lol:
(I’ve reverted back to waist bending).

Yes,nail removal. OMG, another shiver job… shivers

Sorry Primus, off topic… (slaps own wrist)

Sorry. Me too. I’ll get Pesta to slap my wrist too.

I was told I have cataracts forming too. Apparently they don’t have to wait until they are ‘ripe’ these days, they can do it at any stage.

I had a fright about a week ago when I kept seeing something like shooting stars in the corner of one eye, it was horrible, kept thinking something was moving next to me.
I phoned my optician and she booked me in for the next day.

They have a scanner like the hospital has, and she took 9 photographs of the back of my eye from all different angles as she was a little concerned it might be a problem with my retina. It wasn’t, thank goodness, but she still phoned me on Saturday to see if it was still happening, or it was worse.
She said if it gets worse I am to ring her straightaway and she will get me in at the eye dept. at the hospital.
At the moment it is calming down - fingers crossed it will be alright.

That could certainly be the beginnings of vitreous detachment. Do you also see many ‘floaters’?

On its own, it may not be immediately serious, but your optician is correct and if it gets worse call her straight away.

Most importantly, if you see a dark ‘sheet’ beginning to cross your vision in that eye, obliterating anything behind it, it is almost certain to be retinal detachment, which is an emergency situation and needs immediate attention. If dealt with quickly, they can ‘spot weld’ the retina back in place with a laser.

Thanks JBR, and yes, she said much the same as you.
It’s a bit worrying on top of everything else that been going on this year.
Fingers crossed it doesn’t worsen or I will make sure I get help quickly.

1 Like

I have no idea why people should pay that sort of money for specs. :flushed:

We always just take the prescription and have them made online, all the styles you could want and excellently made. Never had a problem in the ten years or so we’ve been doing this, and the style I use now comes in at around £30 pair. No contest… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That sounds the best idea to me as well Barry.
Only thing is, how do they take your measurements to ensure the frames fit comfortably?

The sites have all the details you need for sizing Mups, including a virtual try on so that you can see if the style suits you. Most of the sites also have a money back if not satisfied policy too, but we have never had to return any up to yet.

There are quite a few of these sites now, the last one we used was Glasses Direct, but before that Glasses2you was a favourite… :blush:

With the ridiculous prices now charged at opticians ws thought there really is nothing to lose by trying a pair to check, and we’ve been buying them that way ever since. We’ve now got specs in every room of the house for the same price of one pair at the opticians!

As I said, it works for us… :wink:

Same here. First discovered at Specsavers, Worcester a couple of years ago. Last eye test (Jan this year) at Specsavers, Cannock showed they are still about the same size but, this time, I was told to have my eyes tested annually because of them.

1 Like

I have my eyes tested annually too. My cataracts haven’t got bigger either.
Guess there may come a time when they are so bad I’ll have to have them done, but with the NHS so stretched I’ll leave it for now.