Eye Catching Adverts

The power of advertising?
I’m largely thinking visual.
Are there any particular images that stick in your mind?

British Airways must have come up trumps with Roz Hanby

76d5434b3044cd34707680d2055e911c-1448040406

Those steely blue piercing eyes - genius!
Of course there were plenty more, in the street, on the buses etc.
You couldn’t help gazing upon them, whether you wanted to or not!

1 Like

Oh dear the cul-de-sacs that the marketing department can get a company stuck in. Not long after this jingoistic bit of advertising the board of BA realised that they had more potential customers outside the UK, and that they were creating the OneWorld brand by sharing codes and rewards with airlines from around the world, and they were a really international brand, and they had plans to buy an airline or two elsewhere. So they felt it appropriate to drop the flag from the tails of their planes and set out a less country specific branding. That sat better with their global ambitions. Not everyone understood or agreed - but that was made worse as the re-branding sat right after ads like the above.

1 Like

Jingoistic?
I was never a fan of Margaret Thatcher - I’m going to make an exception!

article-2039678-0E0199FF00000578-2_306x526-1232851124

I usually make a cupa or something when the ads come on but I do like this one

2 Likes

Fair challenge. On reflection jingoistic is too strong a word for the ad. It is however flag waving, quite literally, rather (for example) describing any tangible benefit such as price or quality of service or reliability. Therefore it serves them right for then being unable to ditch the flag.

2 Likes

Great advert Ambre, one of my favourites.

2 Likes

I appreciate your reply Lincs, food for thought!
It’s the imagery that fascinates me, the initial response so to speak. But yep, nothing wrong with opening up a topic! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

What? When she directly intervened in the management decisions of a publicly quoted company? In any other context such ill-considered intervention would have been dubbed socialist meddling. In every other context Tories talk about market forces or shareholder value determining business decisions and it not being the state’s role to interfere.

Topic opened!
We’ll just skip art! :wink:

1 Like

In my opinion one of the best ads ever made…

3 Likes

I’m sticking with The Norfolk Broads!

From my wife’s homeland and with English subtitles.

2 Likes