Extreme insomnia

The last two nights in bed I haven’t played on my phone - nor have I read.

I had a cup of Twinning’s ‘Sleep tea’ My bed is lovely & comfy, I had nothing on my mind.

I got to sleep ok but woke up two hours later - got back to sleep for another two hours & then I was awake for good. Last two nights - four hours sleep per night.

I have hunted my S.A.D. lamp out as it is also good for sleep problems…

Have you tried a mug of warm milk about an hour before turning in to sleep? I’ve found that gives me a good level of sleep, usually of the ‘right kind’. It’s also recommended by many of the websites concerned with getting people into good sleeping habits, one of these below shows this as recommended:

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

No good for me Baz - I’ve never liked liked milk…

got my sympathy Carol, it’s horrible. I had a dreadful night last night, was awake all night and finally dropped off after 5am last time I looked at clock, up for work at 6.45am sigh couldn’t get out of bed then! the dog and the husband had no trouble sleeping, could hear them both breathing heavy!

I have had sleepless nights many times and it really does feel like the loneliest time.

Worth a try I thought. It’s the tryptophan in milk that is supposed to help with sleep. According to this website there are many other foods that contain tryptophan so perhaps an evening meal using any of these foods might help:

I know only too well what the opposite of insomnia is like so I can sympathise.
I hope you can find something that helps.
:grinning:

Thanks for your replies everybody.

I didn’t know vitamin B was good for sleep but I already take a b vitamin supplement because it’s good for nerves.

I’m going to take all the advice offered.

1 Like

Carol - I had a similar problem some while ago, so googled for how to get a full nights sleep. The answer - wear an eyemask; and also use ear plugs. It worked for me!!! I can’t really explain it, but they make you feel ‘ready’ to sleep - everything is shut out - noise and light - helped me a lot. If you still have problems, try gulping half a swig of night nurse.
One thing though - I’ve been using a black eye mask for some while now and find the cheaper masks can leave pencil-like marks on the pillow case on either side of your head. If you can, get a silky eye mask.

Since starting this thread I have been using bright light therapy. It was originally used for S.A.D. (Seasonal affective disorder) but was found to be helpful with insomnia.

I have been under the lamp for half an hour every morning & am pleased to say for the past two nights I have slept for 6 hours!

Feeling much happier now. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have one of these Carol and used to use it years ago. I must dig it out of the cupboard and try it again. It used to make me feel full of beans at the darkest time of year. Then I started arranging wintersun breaks every Nov/Dec and that seemed to fix it. Not possible now of course.