Extreme insomnia

I use Apple Mac devices – MacBook Pro, iPhone and an iMac but not an iPad. On the MacBook Pro and iPhone there is an option called ‘Night Shift’, this reduces the blue light and is designed to prevent problems of not being able to sleep if using the device before turning in for the night.

The link below shows what ‘Night Shift’ is and how it works, according to this the iPad does have this option:

1 Like

Thank you I will try this.

1 Like

I asked this same question for my husband who had a very bad case of a insomnia for years from doing shift work. A friend told him to try black cherry juice diluted .

1/4 cup diluted to the strength you’d like. It’s fairly strong & tart but apparently works well

1 Like

According to information I found it does appear to work well, I wonder what it’s like for restoring one’s circadian rhythm? There are also it seems many other benefits to it:

2 Likes

I’m not sure about that. Here’s some more info about it . It increases tryptophan which is an amino acid that naturally aids in sleep. It’s abundant in turkey and warm milk.

It also naturally increases your body’s production of melatonin. Some people take melatonin tablets but they can cause nightmares in people.
I’m not sure if it’s from taking too much. I’m not sure why that is. The melatonin is properly balanced with tryptophan naturally in cherry :cherries: juice

The research shows that tart cherry juice increases sleep time and sleep efficiency for people with insomnia. This may be because tart cherry juice increases the bioavailability of tryptophan and increases your body’s production of melatonin.Oct 16, 2020

Other benefits of cherry juice

2 Likes

I used to eat a handful of dried tart cherries every night. Not sure if it helped me to sleep but they tasted good.

I also listened to the Marconi Union audio linked earlier in the thread. It was relaxing but also not sure if it helped me to sleep.

I love sleep. Best thing ever. I try to do it as much as I can.

2 Likes

I’m sure eating cherries has the same type of effect as drinking the juice. The only drawback I can see from eating dehydrated cherries would be the sugar level. For myself, too much sugar keeps me up. 1/4 cup of pure cherry juice probably doesn’t have as much natural sugar as dried cherries. It also doesn’t have the hydration as natural cherry juice which for some might be a benefit. We’re all so different.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that a mug of warm milk before sleep does give me a better kind of sleep.

Melatonin tablets are often taken by those who are suffering from ‘jet lag’, it’s known that it can have side-effects though. Anyone thinking of taking this for ‘jet lag’ is advised to consult their GP, it can affect those taking blood pressure medication and other commonly used medication.

1 Like

Sudoku? Cherry Juice? Warm Milk?
Carol there’s only one thing you need and that’s a decent night’s sleep…
Get some liquid Night Nurse from the pharmacy - have half a slug…you’ll be in Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in no time at all. Night night!

Have a couple of beers, it is quite natural, and, just ignore the agitation in the morning.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
calm and zzzz then

Why not, kick the Pharma into touch. :+1: :+1: :+1: :mountain_biking_man:

One day, moderate beer will be on prescription, it was good enough for the Monks.

Yes night nurse works. I’ve tried it a few times in the past when I’m desperate.

It’s just - I would so love to have a natural sleep…

I’d rather insomnia than drinking cherry juice.

Cocoa is a more pleasant soporific but I would recommend you cut down on activity after 6pm. So no late night ironing. Eat your evening meal early (by 6pm). Try to go for a long evening walk before 8pm or swim or yoga or just some stretches. Don’t watch TV two hours before bedtime. Do not use the internet for the same time or chat to anyone on the phone etc. Have some cocoa about an hour before bedtime. Make sure you hydrate but no regular tea or green tea. Eat a banana if you are hungry.

Who wouldn’t I dread bedtime

I have been a poor sleeper most of my life oddly it started after a night exercise when in the Royal Marines I think one of my internal clocks was knocked out of kilter. I go to sleep very early and have no issues getting off, staying asleep can be an issue as I wake often if I make it to 3 am then that is fine.
Tried drugs but they do not work and just made me feel crap the next day. Oddly some painkillers really bugger my sleep up consequently I rarely take them as it might be poor sleep but it is what it is and I am pretty much used to it.

1 Like

Bit late Carol, but it might be worth looking at these people’s advice.

Thank you Mups. I shall go through the list & take every bit of advice which includes no technology before bedtime/in bed
As I play scrabble in bed on my phone I think that will be hard for me to change. Then when I’ve had enough of scrabble - I read.

Oh dear - don’t think I could just lie there but I’ll try!!

Good luck Carol.
Let us know if their advice helps or not.

Not sure if the scrabble is a good idea? Isn’t that stimulating the brain instead of letting it calm down?