Extinction Rebellion glue themselves to the speakers chair in the HOC!

The examples you cite (one car, limited air transport etc) would surely be for the time being and would be rescinded once the means to generate sufficient energy plus associated technology had been developed?

@Morticia , well l suppose it would be similar to a referendem where the
citizens fill in a list of preferences for projects they see as desirable in the
following ten years , and also comlaints about the last ten years ??
The existing local councils would gather this information for submission
to parliament, so not much different to what we have now except that the
filling in of the lists is mandatory, so everybody has their say??
Maybe it could be combined with the census forms we allready fill in !!
The ruling party of the day would then have a duty to follow the direction that
the result of the combined form filling indicates ??
This should eliminate the problem of broken promises and the lobbying
of parliament etc that goes on now ??
What do you think ?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Don’t you think the move to electric vehicles will reduce the amount of traffic Morty?
People unable to afford one and the possibility of rationing.
I agree about so many people flying around the globe, and also shipping goods and food half way around the world when we could produce most (if not some of it) here.
I was dismayed to find that my weekly supply of apples in Tesco came from New Zealand, South Africa and France…Apples are seasonable here at the moment. I ended up buying the French apples, with less miles on them they certainly taste fresher than the others.

You honestly think the car lobby is going to let that happen?

You bought French apples !
O the shame of it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

‘Stinky Rebellion’ painted themselves black and blocked the entrance to Barclays Bank in Oxford recently. Preventing people like me access. I decided to join them by cable tying their cycle wheels to the frame and squirting some household cleaner on their bike saddles. It is right to show solidarity with the idiots. I agree with their principals but not the vandalism they cause.

2 Likes

Did your mother never mention to you that two wrongs don’t make a right?

Yes, quite often. But they made me angry. Also I volunteer with a local charity in Oxford city and they asked me if they could park their mini bus in our car park. I said (in a half joke) only if it is electric driven. They had the cheek to tell me, it was a petrol vehicle. My manager allowed them to park but I was not happy. I thought about putting some ‘stinky rebellion’ stickers on their windscreen but thought probably not on this occasion.

3 Likes

FWIW I think you had a valid point about them using a petrol vehicle.

Hi

You can campaign responsibly and still get the public on your side.

We have two quite active, by quite, I mean very active, grey haired grannies around here, not sure exactly where they live.

I am still going through my post since I was in hospital.

There is a very small printed slip which had been put through my letter box at some point, not sure when tomorrow was, but it did apologise for them and their mates holding a small protest by walking across the zebra crossing for 10 minutes

That I think is lovely, something I can support and good on them.

What exactly is that supposed to achieve Swims ?

Hi

A gentile protest raising awareness.

You get nowhere by antagonising the public.

@swimfeeders , Why were the gentiles protesting Swimmy ?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1::+1:

There’s something I always struggle to define in my own head, the difference between protest and anarchy.

1 Like

What a silly billy.

Anarchy is derived from ancient Greek, whereas Protest is from Latin.

2 Likes

A silly billy indeed!
Perhaps I should bloody well read more :slightly_smiling_face:
Sorry

for the above, I just couldn’t help linking in to this book. Hopefully not too far off topic.

1 Like

Anyway, I think that you know what I meant :wink:

1 Like

I think I can elaborate Chilli, I could be wrong, I usually am… But here goes…
A protest is bringing a problem to peoples attention and providing a solution…
Anarchy is bringing a problem to peoples attention without a solution…

No, you are not wrong, I like that definition.

2 Likes

Me too. Sorta works on the etymological front.

1 Like