Expensive Dashcam Lesson

Just a day before I went away on holiday I thought I had better check my dashcam. To my consternation it had not recorded anything since last December!

Tried another mini SD Memory card in it - still no recording. Rushed out to buy a replacement camera. When I got it home put the old memory chip in it and got an error message saying the chip was too slow, tried another chip, same thing, finally it accepted a third chip and all was well but that got me worried.

Turns out it was not the camera that was faulty but the chips, I can only surmise that the heat and constant recording had degraded them.

They were not cheap chips either - Sandisk Ultra 32Gb Class 10 etc.

Anyway, while I was away I ordered a couple of 128Gb chips to replace them, now I have two working dashcams I will probably fit the old one at the rear of my car but it was an expensive lesson to learn.

These chips do wear out so instead of buying a new camera try a new chip first. I should have known better but I just didn’t have the time to mess about.

1 Like

These things happen especially just before a holiday…by the way I need a dash cam thought i would mention it…seeing you have two now…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Buy a decent one summer, don’t get one of those cheap ones they sell at some garages, depending on your budget, cameras from nextbase, viofo, blackvue ( expensive) , I would suggest you get one with parking mode ( usually needs hardwiring into the car, which can be done by halfords or a local auto electrician) , then it monitors your car when parked…

Interestingly the camera in either cheap or expensive ones are probably the same, they are only made by two manufacturers world wide apparently. I guess the rest of the device makes up the difference in price.

Mine are both Garmin, the old one a model 45 the new one model 57. I have had the old one several years. They both look exactly the same but do have slightly different features in the set up menu. They both complain if connected to a mains USB charger

I was using a nextbase dashcam and it was very good, however, the plug arc’ed until it became unreliable. I replaced it with a motorola, not quite as easy to use (I get confused easily) but it does the job. I managed to get the nextbase one working and it now records folk coming up the drive.
I have had trouble with SD cards in the past, and now I know why.

If you regularly format an sd card then it should last longer

I bought my first NextBase dashcam 10 years ago.

It lasted 18 months then the battery failed - not covered by warranty but Nextbase sent me instructions for soldering a replacement.

I bought an upgraded version later but the battery in that failed, too. NextBase wouldn’t accept responsibility so I binned their dashcam and bought another brand.

I’ve found ORSKEY front & rear dashcams to be very reliable and affordable. They use Sony components to give crisp and clear reproduction. They also arrive with a 32 gb card so are ready to go. The only mod I undertake is to connect via my OBD socket and not the usual 12v outlet/lighter socket for a more secure connection.

ORSKEY Dash Cam for Cars Front and Rear and SD Card Included 1080P Full HD In Car Camera Dual Lens Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle Sony Sensor with Loop Recording and G-sensor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo