EVs to pay car tax

I think it is a good idea that EVs should pay for a road fund licence. They use the same roads. It is only fair that we are all treated the same. Maybe all road users should also contribute even scooters riders and cyclists. EV car owners already get more fairly treated with zero emission zones. My hybrid is zero emissions but I have to pay to enter certain areas.

1 Like

Can’t understand why you pay to enter certain zones, if your car is hybrid then it will be euro 6 compliant,

Agree to a point. Given the relative high price of purchasing ev’s, one would have hoped that an enticement of a few quid savings off road tax would seem sensible. But i suppose that if taxation through petrol if going to decline, it needs to be made up somewhere else.

In Oxford, the zero emissions zone is free for EVs, Taxis and Buses only. ICEs and Hybrids have to pay a £4 daily fee. At the moment, it is only the centre of the city but by 2024 this will extend to the whole city boundary.

Cars yes, Bikes no!

There is a good argument that not paying road tax is an incentive to increase EV use.

There is no rego payments for EVs at the moment but the NSW Government has already flagged that in the long term rego for EVs will be based on annual distance travelled rather than purely a weight tax as it is now

1 Like

Ah I see, money grabbing council then….

Let’s be honest it was only a matter of time before they were going to have to pay. Once there was more EVs than fossil fuel cars the tax burden would have to be covered … after all no political party removes a tax they just reposition it lol…

3 Likes