Every day fuel companies are laughing at us

Wanting to fill up, I drive along Wanneroo Rd in Perth.
Many fuel stations. As I drive I notice the price is ranging between $2.15 and $2.25 per litre.
I refuse to fill up when the price is an obvious rort so I do not worry about refuelling.
I have enough fuel to get me where I am going.
As I continue driving I come across a Liberty Fuel Station. Their price? $1.61.
This is when my disgust at the other fuel companies reaches a peak.
Ampol, Shell, Caltex, Puma, Mobil, United plus many more are raking in billions of dollars profit every year.
If Liberty can sell at $1.61 and still make a profit then there is serious gouging going on with the other stations.
Sure, nothing I can do about it, except not buy from those rorting the public.
What I would like to do is line up all the Managing Directors and their underlings and…

Our local BP is 2 dollars.Usually never more then 1.65.
You expect it though.

1 Like

I’m sure they’re making up for all the profits they lost over lockdown :rage: Bar stewards the lot of um :tired_face:

UK Prices over last couple of years

1 Like

That price, 1.49 converts to AU$2.77 a litre. A disgraceful price.

Quote: According to ONS (office for national statistics) Although I don’t know where the average petrol price of £1.04 per litre comes from…And is the ‘green tax’ lumped in with the fuel duty or does that get added elsewhere?

### The cost of a litre of fuel – where the money goes

The price of fuel can be divided into three sections the cost of the fuel itself (which is made up of the wholesale price, the cost of distributing the fuel and fuel companies’ profit margins); fuel duty (which is charged at a fixed rate of 57.95 pence per litre); and VAT. VAT is charged at 20% of the wholesale price plus the duty, which equates to 16.7% of the final price.

Under normal market conditions, only a fraction of the cost of a litre of petrol ends up in the coffers of fuel retailers. For petrol, at its current average price of £1.04 per litre, just over 72% of the price will go to the exchequer in fuel duty and in Value Added Tax (VAT), leaving only around 28% of ‘wriggle room’ for cutting the price to consumers when the price of crude oil falls.

3 Likes

I paid $1.80/L for diesel last night at a local independent servo but the nearby Coles Express is charging $2.10 for the same thing.

The worst thing that happened to Australian motorists was the supermarkets and their 4 cents a litre off vouchers. It led to the closure of so many independent servos and now the bastards set the local price (unless there is an independent nearby), those 4 cent vouchers are useless.

I like the way all the independent servos seem to be owned by Indians.

1 Like

I have read that Australia has one of the lowest fuel taxation rates, compared to many other countries.

1 Like

No, they are laughing with us :smile: