Ever had close friends die unexpectedly?

My best friend in my teenage years, my fishing buddy, Mark, drowned one night getting onto his Fathers boat, The Black Witch. Somehow he fell into the water and drowned.
We went fishing all the time, every weekend, we were very good friends.
He was 15.
My friend, Peter, was murdered by a mentally deficient(so it was claimed) backpacker who dumped his body in the sand dunes at Ocean Beach on the West Coast of Tasmania.
He was 14.
My good friend and neighbour, Andrew, shot himself dead at his home. He showed no signs of distress beforehand.
He was 16.
My friend, Jeannie, who played Snow White in the School play, and kissed me, Bashful, died as a Pillion passenger on a motorbike 12 months after leaving school.
She was 17.

1 Like

Oh yes, quite a few of my friends have died recently ,
Once they ve gone into A & E, left in a corridor for 24hrs ,then passed away a few days later with complete organ failure !

3 Likes

Hi Bretrick,

I am sorry to hear the losses. Life has been strange and I’m at an age now deaths are more than I like to count.

Too many close coworker friends have passed on, good people, and when I do think of them, often it reminds me of being grateful… the chance to be there for my daughters, to be able to still support my family, and try really hard to smile and be there, for all those that have left and were there for me.

I do miss many of them and have wondered about the better place they’re at.

My uncle and my grandmother passed away the last 2 years, I’m starting to think death is going to be passage just like teenage years.

Thanks for this post, it made me decide for sure, work hard tonight and take the time to go visit a dear friend tomorrow.

2 Likes

Personally I am surprised I am still around.
We hear of so many well known men dying in their 40s and 50s.
Here I am, having abused my body for many years, still going.
Go figure.

2 Likes

Enjoy every moment if you can. That’s been the one true blessing so far. 2 great kids and I’m still around to try and help them make it through college. Here’s to a great Sunday and being grateful we’re still kicking! :slight_smile: I’m going to go to bed, get up early and go make the 5 hour drive to visit with my best friend. At one point in time, I felt like I honored my coworker friends the best by living my best life. Day to day it sometimes becomes hard to practice that.

1 Like

@Bretrick My eldest grandson’s 1st fiancée died withing an hour of feeling very unwell.

1 Like

Wow, that is so sad and it would have been such a shock to everyone.

A boyhood friend was killed on his motorbike aged 17.

Another who was very asthmatic never made old bones. I think he was around 40 when he died.

1 Like

Sad that so many people die too young.
We miss out on their friendship and they never get to experience the fulness of life.

So far, Fast Food hasn’t taken anyone out early.

It does happen and it surprised me just how many just die within an hour of feeling unwell. Some drop on the spot and never recover.

1 Like

Same here, but change men to women though.

1 Like

When thinking about the lengthy suffering some deaths cause, dropping dead suddenly is my preferred way to go.

4 Likes

Tragic it must be to lose a close friend or family member go quickly i would rather that than whats happened to my friend J . 5 weeks ago she was in good health and cared for her body , good vits , quality food etc . Went to see her for Sunday lunch treat and she felt ill , within 4 days she was in hospital and a nasty virus hit her ( i wont go into detail ) and we were expecting her to die last weekend , family waiting 24 hrs a day by her bedside we all said our quiet goodbyes . I visited today and am shocked at whats happened to her and dont think her life will ever be the same again . Ill be surprised if she goes home to live by herself . She has become a helpless old lady unable to do anything for herself. Sadly i think it will be a care home for her future . Her body is very old and weakend her mind is strong but life will never be the same for her again .

Yes id rather die quickly than see this terrible suffering thats for sure

2 Likes

Terribly sad when people deteriorate that way and linger on. :face_holding_back_tears:
I always think it is better to go than end up reliant on others for care,

3 Likes

That was too funny not to reply. Every now and then I get the urge for a good fast food French fries. I’m sure the golden arches have my number somewhere.

1 Like

I think my close friends died before I met them or, one couldn’t do close, that is a possibility!!

1 Like

I think my potential best friend died before I could say anything. The only person who ever said “what can I do to make it better”. I must say since that time I’ve met quite a few good folks so overall I’d still say I’m grateful to be alive and living my best life to honor those gone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have lost a number of friends and an even larger number of acquaintances over the last decade or so. The saddest was my nephew who was only in his 30s with a young family when he died of skin cancer.

However isn’t it inevitable once you get into your 70s that people are going to drop off their perch around you? (As, of course, will I.)

Both my ex wives have died, the second one died just after last Christmas.

I recently attended the funeral of a lady who was 102, I knew she was in palliative care but it was still a shock when she finally passed away as I have known her for over 30 years.

If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying (Bob Dylan)

1 Like

Good morning Bruce,

My grandmother and uncle passed the last two years. In this category I am immature on. What you listed was the truth.

Giving you another point of view, in my twenties to thirties, coworkers passed away with illnesses, breast cancer, and another I don’t believe I knew. Both cases were with kids. I always thought in those cases the sadness involved in involuntarily leaving loved ones behind. I also felt extremely blessed with 2 girls.

Now I see my parents getting older to the point they are not walking well anymore.

I believe the key each day is kind of what you’re doing, live it to the best possible. I also had struggled with this since my 30s and now realizing its human not to be best :D.

Have a great evening, here’s to life.

1 Like