Ever given advice that had negative consequences?

A workmate was upset that his wife had volunteered him to cut down and mulch a large overgrown Grapevine of the neighbour.
He came to work on Thursday upset and angry about what she had done. His wife bosses him around and rules with total control.
He is not assertive.
I gave simple advice along the lines of - at sometime in your life you need to learn to say no and get back control of your life.
He listened attentively, I did tell him to say it quietly and respectfully.
He came to work this morning and said he slept at his brother’s place Thursday night and needs to find somewhere to live.
His wife threw him out and he went :pleading_face:

Don’t feel bad bret. It sounds to me like this could be the best thing that’s ever happened to him. He may even thank you for it some day.
Hopefully he’ll find his feet soon, just try to give him all the support you can.

2 Likes

It is a real kick in the guts though. My advice has turned his world upside down.
Finding somewhere else to live with the rental market as it is will be a real battle.
Yes, it might be the best thing for him to get away from an abusive partner. What right has she to tell him to leave the home.
She could have left the home. But no, easier to manipulate her husband. I dislike these bullies with a passion and when I used to come across them I would put them in their place.
I do hope that he lands on his feet and this is the best thing that could have happened to him for a very long time.
Getting away from a toxic situation and gaining freedom and control.

1 Like

Do you have the space to put him up for a few days?

1 Like

I would never give advice in that situation.Marital squabbles are best left to the contestants.

2 Likes

No need to. He is staying with his brother. I am in a small one bedroom.

1 Like