Ever experience the involuntary feeling of wanting to jump from a very high place?

When I first moved into a block of units, it was on the 9th floor. Never been that high before.
As I went out onto the balcony and looked over the edge to the ground below, I had the urge to jump.
One of my legs actually lifted off the floor, not controlled by me. So weird.
I quickly went back inside and for more than a month I would not look over the
edge to the ground, so far below.
I researched this and came up with High place phenomenon - a sudden urge to jump when in a high place.

4 Likes

If you’re experiencing this involuntary response to being at a great height, there must follow the intervention of qualified medical professional treatment, at the earliest opportunity.

1 Like

Yes.But not as far as any actual leg movement.

1 Like

This occurred a long time ago. I still do not like heights but I do not have an extreme reaction as that one these days.

Super scary when my leg started to lift.

1 Like

I’m pleased to hear that, Bretrick.

1 Like

Were you ever a Russian Oligarch in a previous life? :grinning:

2 Likes

Not to my recollection.
I recall being Bashful of the Seven Dwarfs :smiley:

Ahh too short for leaping off balcony’s then?…problem solved

1 Like

Yes, I would have had to climb to get over the balcony :grinning:

Therefore not worth the effort it’s time for you to adopt the Finnish. Kalsarikännit saying which loosely translated means “To get drunk at home in your underpants , with no intention of doing anything else.”

1 Like

No, but I used to feel drawn to the tracks on the tube when a train was coming

It’s a really common phenomenon called the Call of the Void and it’s nothing to worry about and doesn’t always mean you’re suicidal, they think it’s more about confirming you want to live than wanting to die

(But of course, if anyone is feeling bad or depressed at the moment don’t ignore it, it’s vital you get some help now)

Scientists aren’t sure what causes the Call of the Void but the most common theory is that we misinterpret our instinctive fear signals

Or that we have an urge to gamble to deal with our fears by considering worst options

They explain it much better than me on these links!

4 Likes

Exact same thing happened to me decades ago. Coincidentally I was also living on the ninth floor of a building at the time. At the time it wasn’t scary. I think about it more in hindsight.

1 Like

Yes and often.

1 Like

This is a well explain phenomenon

1 Like

Yes heights pull me down , I can not look down as I feel I want to jump . Awful.feeling

1 Like

What happened? Was it a feeling that you wanted to jump off the balcony, did one of your legs lift involuntarily?
Scary when it happened to me. I immediately went inside, not going to get me to jump, dash mind.

You get the urge to jump from high places, often? That would be very disconcerting indeed.

So you avoid high places?

1 Like

Err… no…

1 Like

It was more of a thought. What if I jumped? I grabbed the balcony railing tightly to make sure I wasn’t going anywhere.

Thoughts can generate actions. I am glad you never jumped. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like