Even trees can have "Spare Tyres" around their girth

I went for a drive out into the bush and came across this Yellow Box Tree - Eucalyptus melliodora.

Poor thing has been taking up too many nutrients and as such has become top heavy.
So heavy the upper storey is pushing down on the lower trunk, creating a couple of circumferential “Spare Tyres” :smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t know that even happened with trees, fascinating!

1 Like

Called Butt Bulge
The most likely cause is internal rot.
So the inner trunk is weakened, causing the outer layers to bulge.

1 Like

Ohh…ok, so will the tree dies then? The ones round about it don’t look too great either to be honest :frowning:

1 Like

Many of our trees are stressed and dying.
This tree will eventually be blown over by strong winds but that may take another 10 years.

1 Like

Aww, that is so sad. What’s stressing them? Trees are fairly Zen, but if its poor soil quality, or adverse weather, then there’s nothing one can really do about that

1 Like

The trees are stressed through lack of water. Drought conditions.
This allows fungus to get a foothold.

1 Like

Oh…gosh. Well, if anyone wants to pay me to come over and do some watering, I’m more than happy to oblige!

Seriously though, what are your winters like? Are they dry too?

Perth rainfall has decreased at least 10% since 1990.
Sometimes we go months without any rain.
This year to date we are 80mm below the average.

@Bretrick From that photo, I’d say the deformities are straight forward Grown Galls

2 Likes

Too Dry your side or too Wet here sometimes…One year it waterlogged a Beautiful Olive Tree and so with the roots exposed then we tied a rope around it in three places, hoping it would give it some Stability around the base and firming the area with our Wellies on… Roots though once out do they ever survive that…It did seem to pick up for a while then along comes a Storm and it was down and that was the Finish of that Tree…

1 Like

you got Gall lol!
Hi LongDriver…

2 Likes

Bretrick I must try and pick your Brains some time over Aussie Probate Procedures…!!!

Well wood you believe it :scream:

2 Likes

Barking up the wrong tree?

1 Like