EV sales outstrip growth of charging points!

Sales of EVs have now over taken the provision of
of charging points in the UK?
If this trend continues then sure as eggs is eggs
there are going to be a lot of dissatisfied owners
sitting with useless vehicles ??
Donkeyman! :-1::roll_eyes::-1:

I cant order one because my electric supply cable wont support a rapid charge point!
The only one I could have fitted is a 14hr job which will be useless to me🤬

Some of said this ages ago Donkeyman.

Some people only seem to invent things for the rich and famous. Most people don’t live in big houses with acres of land to enable charging points installed in their gardens.
It doesn’t seem to enter their wooden heads that millions of people live in flats, or terraced houses, where charging cables can’t stretch across pavements tripping people up.
Yet another brainwave that was put on the market before it was thought through.
The soaring energy prices (and sockets) for multiple car families needing to charge several cars. Or how to manage these cars in power cuts.

Same as the early smart meters that didn’t work if you changed energy companies.
And like the new Peat free composts being forced upon us that kill young plants!

New inventions to ‘save the planet’ which are put on the market too soon, presumably to start clawing their money back for the manufacturing.

I’ve commented on this before. The whole UK generation system is already more than we can supply so we have to import from other countries. As EVs increase in numbers the problem can only get worse.

This will be exacerbated even more when gas is shut off in favour of a heat pump load at every house. The loading for a small/medium house is 7.2Kw; take that for every dwelling and the grid will collapse

1 Like

It was thought through Mups, they want us off the roads…How better to do it than make electricity too expensive and in short supply so everyone gets rationed or cut off at peak times. I will drive a diesel motor for as long as I feel safe enough to drive or I shuffle off my mortal coil…
All the projections in the past about how EV’s compare to a conventional engine were done when the price of electricity was a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now, despite the rise in petrol and diesel.
At lunchtime Mrs Fox and I were sat in a services car park eating our Greggs sandwich, and looking at the expanse of vehicles I realised that with only two charging points available, what if the car park would have been filled with Electric vehicles?

@OldGreyFox , Sounds like the impossible dream don’t it ??
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

1 Like

My grandson and his partner are buying a brand new house and that comes with a charging unit installed.

Would you happen to know what current rating it is? Usually the largest rating in a house is a 30A cooker and that is a one off. All the other plugs are 13A.

Don’t they do a 45 amp one for electric showers Besoeker?
I heard somewhere that domestic properties are usually fused at 100 amp in the meter box.

Ah yes, I’d forgotten about that.

1 Like

No, Sorry l don’t know Besoeker. The house is still being built.

I do know a couple who had a charging unit installed in their garage as they bought a Tesla but l don’t see them very often to ask.
Weren’t there subsidies for people having them fitted?

It wouldn’t surprise me Arty, but like solar panels the subsidies will gradually be reduced until you have to buy your own.

1 Like

I saw an interesting article which said that currently it costs $10000 to have a two way charging box. ie one that allows cars to be fast charged from the house power AND allow the car to be used as a power supply for the house.

An EV car battery is far larger (in capacity) than any battery currently available on the market. While the initial cost was high in the long term it could pay for itself. You would charge the car during the day at work or in the local mall’s carpark using solar then power the house during the night

I suspect you have to be younger than people on this forum (or at least younger than me) to get the full benefit.

Found the article:

At the moment you are in the middle of the change over from fossil fuel power and there will be hiccups such as a shortage of charging points but how many kms do you travel each day? a car will probably only need charging once a week in reality, that is certainly the case for friends of mine with their Kona EV.