Eurovision to Indiana Jones: 15 flops and fails in culture in 2023

Megaflop:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny cost a reported $300m (£236m) to make. When you add other costs such as marketing the movie globally, it would have needed to make at least double that just to break even.

But it took only $383m worldwide (£301m) - not an amount of money we’d turn down if offered, but well below expectations for such a major franchise. The Guardian declared it a “summer flopbuster”. The previous Indiana Jones film made $790m (£621m).

It wasn’t alone. A plethora of films underperformed this year including The Marvels, The Flash and the latest instalments of Ant Man and Mission: Impossible.

That was partly thought to be due to superhero and franchise fatigue - but also because Barbie and Oppenheimer dominated the 2023 box office.

TBH, I’m amazed that the “Indiana Jones” franchise lasted so long … :man_shrugging:

However, I’m not part of the world audience that, increasingly, wants more of the same … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

watched a film with a famous aussie actor in and swedish co star about memory recalls - i enjoyed the film but it was a bit disjointed I discovered it lost about $20 million at the box office - I think this is a phenomena that is more common than we realize - the viewing audiences are fickle - they can then only recoop on the constant repeat playings on tv sites world wide? - film was called memories or summat like that great song from the 20’s in it also

Movie makers are failing to give viewers what we need…stories that challenge our morals, hearts, and understanding different perspectives with positive outcomes.

We have been inundated with superheroes, fantasy creatures and mindless dramatic images.

Let’s get back to reality, not try to make more bucks on old ideas that worked a few times. Move on.

2 Likes