European Rally Racing

I’ve been watching YouTube videos of Rally races because I love the sport. What I can’t comprehend is these nutters standing almost right on the road. I mean they are so close they could literally touch the cars. I know the drivers are professionals, but accidents still happen, and getting hit with a ton of metal is not on my bucket list.

main-qimg-795428b0ea7c056286a1d5f573af63a2-lq
Poor photographer almost bought it!

I’m a fan these people are insane! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

That’s bad enuf on dry dusty tracks, but more insane are those who line the mud tracks thru forests etc where driver control is almost impossible.

1 Like

I have telephoto lenses I would be as out of the way as I could! :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

I always wondered when going through a town or village if they wreck who pays the damages to property. Turns out the racing teams and the Rally itself carry hefty insurance.
Insurance.
Each car competing needs to have an insurance like the regular cars on the road. This would probably come into effect if a car hits another competing car during the rally.
For civilian cars and other objects around the stage: each rally has to include an insurance policy for damages before it’s allowed to run by FIA or state institutions. This is covered by organizer and paid with part of entry fees. Usually it’s in the amount of 1 million minimum and you can guess that the rate of insurance is quite higher than you would get to insure your property as the chance of something getting damaged is of course… almost inevitable :wink:

Don’t want to see those rates!!!

1 Like

Decades ago a few workmates and I went to watch a couple of stages on the RAC Welsh Rally and all of us stood on the outside of the bends. It was a fantastic day out with a walk around the “pits” at the end of the first stage. If you think about it, all the cars hit the apex of the bend right on the inside of the road/track so, standing on the outside of the bend is safe enuff other than getting splattered by dirt, pebbles, mud.

1 Like

They don’t race in the States. Checked the 2022 schedule and all Europe and Africa, and Japan. :tired_face: :tired_face:
If I had a choice of all the races I would attend Rally Kenya. That would be a dream! :smiley: :smiley:

:hugs: That’s a shame 'cos I remember it was really exciting.

1 Like

Is there rally racing in America?

Image result for has the WRC ever raced in America

In the late 1980s, there were WRC-sanctioned races in the US. … However, although the Olympus Rally is still an ongoing event, it’s no longer on the WRC calendar. No US race has since 1988, even though American drivers like Ken Block and Travis Pastrana have raced in the WRC.Mar 11, 2021

Sucks!

We have the Finke Desert Race, never seen it myself

1 Like