Essex gardener who fed 1,613 people got her land salted

A gardener who grew produce on her land to help feed others in need got her land salted. She has vowed to continue and has a GoFundMe account that is doing well.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-04-12/gardener-heartbroken-after-thugs-destroy-allotment-crop-to-feed-hungry

Must be devastatingā€¦ what is wrong with some people!

3 Likes

What a nasty, sick-minded and vindictive thing to do - how do people grow up to be so mean-spirited and anti-social.

4 Likes

That is dreadful, there are some really wicked people about

It sounds targeted at at her, someone jealous of her success, maybe.

It sounds too well planned for just vandals and Iā€™m not sure your average vandal would know what salt did to soil anyway

It definitely sounds like someone who wants to stop her growing stuff and knows how. Another allotment owner, maybe?

My worry would be that even if she does replant in topsoil this year, they might strike again

Maybe they need some sort of security camera?

Terrible that it should be needed though :rage:

2 Likes

Itā€™s also a huge amount of salt. Someone had to plan to buy that much salt.

2 Likes

5kg isnā€™t that much, really but it would be worth asking local shops off they can remember anyone buying

3 bags of this?

2 Likes

I don`t get some people,why on earth would someone be so nasty,i can only assume they are jealous.
If they were ever found nothing would be done.
I would put some sort of CCTV close by ,we have a camera that is camouflaged behind a bush,it picks up movement of any kind and records it,then you download it.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t sound like young thugs antics to me, there are some strange oldies out there as well.

Some people are such jerksā€¦

However, one day theyā€™ll be without food and theyā€™ll remember the day they did this despicable actā€¦

Karma!

1 Like

Is there a greengrocer store around by any chance? Just asking.

1 Like

It must be incredibly tough to start over again.
Iā€™m not sure that Iā€™d have the resolve and courage to do so .

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming the terminology ā€˜saltedā€™ means her allotment was revoked instead of :point_down:t4:

walks off shaking her head at yet another lost in translation moment ā€¦

Hopefully theyā€™ll get nicked.

2 Likes

I understand from colleagues and friends who have allotments that they are very political hotbeds of seething envy and sabotage. This probably isnā€™t unusual itā€™s just made public because of her social media campaign and cause.

they may have used a bigger salt potā€¦

2 Likes

It was actual salt. Like your picture but in bigger quantities.

1 Like

Its nice to see her go fund me is up to Ā£224K
She can do a lot of good with that.
One in the eye for haters.

Fundraiser by Carly Burd : A Meal on me With Love (gofundme.com)

1 Like