England vaccine passport plans ditched, Javid says

Sajid Javid told the BBC: “We shouldn’t be doing things for the sake of it.”

He said they had looked at the evidence, adding: “I’m pleased to say we will not be going ahead with plans.”

It was thought the scheme would be introduced at the end of this month.

Obviously, there will be more later … :069:

Can anyone, please, tell me what that phrase ( “we shouldn’t be doing things for the sake of it”) means?

A quick scan, of the net, is not very revealing…!

1 Like

For no particular reason

Speaking on The Andrew Marr Show, Mr Javid said: "I’ve never liked the idea of saying to people you must show your papers or something to do what is just an everyday activity, but we were right to properly look at it.

“We’ve looked at it properly and, whilst we should keep it in reserve as a potential option, I’m pleased to say that we will not be going ahead with plans for vaccine passports.”

The move appears to be a sharp U-turn by the government.

On the same TV programme last week, Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said the end of September was the right time to start the vaccine passport scheme for sites with large crowds because all over-18s would have been offered two jabs by then and it was the “best way” to keep the night industry open.

A U-turn … :astonished:

Surely not … :037:

Scotland is taking a different approach to England - they will bring in a vaccine passport for over-18s for entry to nightclubs and many large events from October.

In Wales, ministers will decide next week if vaccine passports should be used to gain entry to some events, First Minister Mark Drakeford said on Friday.

In Northern Ireland, there are no current plans to introduce a similar scheme.

Shambles … :102:

In NSW these certificates are important - from tomorrow people with a double vaccination get some freedoms, they are pretty minor but you will need to be able prove that you are vaccinated. Mine is on my phone though you can get, or print out, a paper copy.

Roll on 70% double vaccinations!

So,. there we are!

What he should have said was that “there is no particular reason to have a vaccine passport” - which is what you are suggesting that he meant.

I wonder if the electorate would support not having a need to know that those at our night clubs, football grounds, theatres, etc., don’t need to be able to show proof that they care for the protection of others.

1 Like

“we should not pretend to know what we are talking about”

1 Like

This is the way it will continue to spread passport or not. Even if fully vaccinated you can still get Covid & still pass it to others. I can see that the government have realised this.
I personally will not be going to any of the highlighted above. Thank goodness I am too old for night clubs too.

1 Like

Hi Tiffany,

I don’t think I’ve seen any experts say that the odds of passing it on, with or without a jab, are the same.

I do see a lot of, what seems to be, fudged answers though!

2 Likes

Hi Ted, They have interviewed young people on the news who have had both vaccines & still got Covid, some were very sick with it. They must have passed it on to others. The Cornwall Board Festival was a place where that happened, the people who went were supposed to all have had two jabs, but still some were infected putting the Cornish rate higher than other places. It won’t be stopped as long as crowds gather, no matter where or what the occasion. I personally have no intention of going anywhere like that.

1 Like

"Vaccinators from the Atlantic Medical Group will be ready and waiting between 9am and 5.30pm at the Green car park, Boardmasters Festival, Newquay.

Tracey Hembrough, Atlantic Medical Group nurse partner, said: “We hope that after everyone has enjoyed a brilliant few days of live music and getting back to the things they love they will take the opportunity while they’re here in Cornwall to grab a jab. By doing so they will not only be protecting themselves but also their loved ones, friends and people living in the area.”

If they only had the jab on the day they arrived there, it would have taken several days for them to get safe.

Still, I’m doing my hindsight talking again.

1 Like

So we’re not going to get something that we were never told we were going to have?

1 Like

Exactly - I understand that health, for whatever reason, is a devolved matter but, apart from anything else, it is causing such confusion and does make you wonder why there can be so many differences of opinion in this matter.
j

It doesn’t bother me one iota whether I have a “Covid passport” or not. I have a card in my wallet that says I have had my 2 jabs, and gives the dates I was jabbed, and the vaccine batch nos. If that’s not good enough for others, tough Cheddar.

Can I ask where you received this card from, PV?

I know I’m not Percy but I got one when I had my first jab that then got filled in again with my second.
Business-card-sized with the date, type and batch number written in.

Hmm, interesting - we didn’t get that here in Scotland - a good idea but yet anomaly

Exactly as Zaphod replied Last Tango :+1:. V got her card at the same time as me because we had our jabs at the same time.