End of Northern Ireland foretold

Interesting article that predicts the views of the “peace generation” (people born after the Good Friday agreement) will increasingly dominate and the unionist views will be marginalised. Young people see a UK / Westminster that has no interest in Northern Ireland. These young voters want to politics about more than unionist / republican - environment, gender issues, welfare, etc.
And that’s before Brexit is mentioned.
All told, while 40% of the over 60’s in NI still identify as unionist, only 15% of the under 24’s do. The writing appears to be on the wall. And the more the likes of the DUP fail to serve the people of NI (by childishly refusing at attend Stormont) the stronger the view that NI’s future lies with Dublin and not London.

Quite right too … render unto Paddy that which is Paddy’s :+1:It should never have been claimed in the first place!

4 Likes

Hi

It will not go easily, the conflict is hundreds of years old and deeply embedded.

There will be serious violence.

3 Likes

Personally I thought Brexit was the ideal time to be rid of Northern Ireland. What is the advantage of keeping it as part of the UK?

Presumably Eire would welcome a united Ireland?

1 Like

Well, hopefully :crossed_fingers: but I expect in reality if it should ever take place, some will resort to violence in the extreme.

1 Like

The 40% of the over 60’s in Northern Ireland see no advantage in leaving the UK - and no doubt would offer up strong arguments against that. Even though the unionist support dwindles as you go down the age groups (only 15% of under 24’s support the union) that is still a lot of people who would work against NI joining with Ireland. If there was a referendum tomorrow and more than 50% voted to leave the UK, the unionists would not let that actually happen without a fight.

Sadly LongDriver, you may be right

1 Like

They used to call Ireland a rich country with poor people ,that was when the English were in charge.They should have got rid of them by now.

1 Like

Hmmm. This site is operated from the UK huh?
And this article caught my eye because recent DNA shows mine from Southern Ireland. I have little clue about the politics of that since the Queen of Scots era though.
Interesting.