Empty supermarket shelves?

Had quite a large Sainsbury’s delivery today - had everything that I had ordered apart from one substitute - they had no Tuna flavoured ‘Dreamies’ so offered Salmon flavour instead - asked the cats and they were happy about it so no problem.

2 Likes

I did my last shop before all this started and didn’t find a problem. I shall find out next week how the shelves are looking.

Edited to add…

I usually get my petrol from the particularly Sainsbury’s I do my shop in… as it could do with it. I dread finding out what the state of play will be or even if I can get in from the roadway to do the shop, never mind get petrol… If there’s a queue at the petrol station there, there will be a backlog all along the adjoining road and I won’t get a look in.

Silly as I am, when I was last there (as I say, before all this kicked off), I was going to put £20’s worth in on the way out, but it was a sunny day and I had frozen’s in the boot.
I should have listened to my gut feeling. Hey ho.

1 Like

I’m finding a few shelves bare now and again, and I mentioned earlier about how the local shop is thinking about closing. So long as I can still get the dogs food, I’m happy.

Surely that can’t be right?
There’s no fuel to make the deliveries with and supermarkets can’t get stock if you believe the likes of the BBC … or even some people in these forums if you read some of the threads.

I went shopping yesterday and got everything I wanted too without a single problem; shelves seemed well-stocked and there weren’t any gaps that I could see.

So I’m really pleased to see that you got everything you needed and delivered too, and I’m sure your cats won’t mind salmon instead of tuna.
Personally I would rather have salmon any day.
But that’s two if us not had any problems despite the doom-mongers trying to tell us otherwise.
Even if I had problems finding certain things, I doubt I would starve.

1 Like

I did see that and it’s sad when the smaller shops suffer while the big supermarkets thrive.
But is it really recent events, or is it part of a longer-running problem?
Because where my mum & dad are even their local wee Co-Op closed and they with a Spar had a monopoly.
I’m pretty sure that home deliveries must be having an impact on small local shops.

1 Like

Yes I agree about home deliveries…but with fuel the way it is, how long will that continue? It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I may have to stick with my allotment potatoes after all! :smiley:

Our local post office/sell-it-all double fronted shop, come general store is run by hard working Asians (aren’t they all) and not only is nothing too much trouble, as soon as they heard that I was shielding 18 months ago, they were straight on the phone “how can we help?” and service like that has ensured their customers always return and keep doing so.

1 Like

They even had the more exotic things on my order - pomegranate, passion fruit, and the physalis.

Managed to spend over £100 in Tesco just now. Son helped with the total. :grinning:
Daughter did her own shopping. The shelves weren’t bad, some gaps, but nothing major & we got everything we needed. I bought tinned stuff & basics in case & lots of icecream.

Haven’t seen any empty shelves in the stores I visit.

I don,t think it,s all down to delivery drivers or the lack of them as many supermarkets do not have enough staff to stack the shelves. At out local Morrisons a week or so ago there were no staff to collect the empty trollies and they were scattered all over the place…
Our local SPAR shop has no shotages whatsoever

1 Like

I reckon most of the empty shelves are all down to the panic buying mentality of some shoppers. If customers only bough from their usual list, there would be plenty to go round for everyone.

2 Likes

Our Tesco does actually have quite a few empty shelves but we managed to get all we wanted except my husbands favourite pop was out of stock, its only 50p 2 litre bottle so ended up having to pay top whack for another pop but no worries.

Petrol queue madness round here , hubby queued yesterday as we were on almost empty and I have to drive to my dad.

I’m waiting patiently for all this to die down, I remember petrol shortages in the past but it didn’t last and I doubt this will either.

Bbc are nothing but scaremongerers

1 Like

Well if there’s ever an apocaplypse, and everything goes to heck…I’m just going to hide. I’m not getting involved in the scrums. People are actually fighting at petrol stations now :astonished:

2 Likes

Yes, its ridiculous! What about walking to walking distance shops for a change? My nearest is the local Post Office sell-everything shop and at only a mile away, shopping with a pull-along trolley is not too difficult even for me.

1 Like