Electric Or Gas Cooking

What do you prefer to cook on, electric or gas?

I prefer a gas hob and an electric oven.

I am all electric.

1 Like

Same here. All electric.

I don’t mind an electric oven but an electric hob is … crap.
I much prefer the controlability of that little gas flame once things come up to the boil and you want a simmer … instead of a frothy mess spewing over the top of the pan.

1 Like

Me too, for all the same reasons that you say.

All electric - but you have a gas hob??

1 Like

No gas so no choice, it’s electric or nothing, I don’t even have a barbecue!
:grinning:

1 Like

They say gas is better for baking but I’ve always had electric.
What I can’t get used to when I cook at mum’s is the way the hobs just go off when you turn them off!

I’m so used to electric staying hot I switch them off and let them keep things warm or finish cooking. It’s brilliant for scrambled eggs.

Also, as gas coolers get old the thing that ignited them always seems to stop working.

1 Like

I prefer cooking in an electric oven, but prefer a gas hob, I was a cook ,we were all gas, I preferred the gas hob but not the gas oven,I wish I could have a gas hob, we have no gas here.all electric.

Oh I’m all electric. I would never have gas EVER, its far too dangerous with the carbon monoxide poisoning - almost got caught out with that many years ago. Never again.

1 Like

Ah, OK… I misunderstood.
We have gas hobs but the electric main oven and a grill. My dear wife has an air fryer, a crock pot and a pressure cooker (which rarely gets used),

1 Like

We switched from a gas oven and hob to all electric last year when our kitchen was refurbished, I think the electric oven cooks things far better than gas, quicker too, we have an induction hob as well, it’s almost instant when cooking things in pans…brilliant…

1 Like

Show me a pretty woman and I am cooking on gas, man , like real hot

1 Like

Gas - and only Gas.

1 Like

Electric ovens (3) and a large bottled gas hob. The feed to the hob has two bottles and a change over valve. Once one gas cylinder is empty and switched over, I order a refill and the agent undertakes the change and very efficient the supply agent is too. We do have mains gas for the boiler/hot water/heating, but the kitchen is right at the rear of the house so bottled gas was by far the easiest solution without external pipework or solid floors being chopped up.

1 Like

There is no gas in my neighborhood all electric and I have cooked with electric most of my adult. But gas is nice for some things so I have a gas grill to make up for it. lol

1 Like

i always preferred and usually had gas until I moved to my current house over 40 years ago. Gas was not available in the area so it was electric or gas bottles.

Since then gas has been put through the suburb but I haven’t had it connected. I have got used to electric cooking and I don’t see the point of paying two standing charges.

1 Like

I’ve always preferred an electric fan oven but a gas hob myself but because of circumstances the current hob is an electric induction hob, and it is great.
It’s as controllable to a fine degree too as gas, which I never thought possible.

1 Like

I am all electric. I do remember working with a colleague who really looked forward to going to their holiday rent as she said that toast was so much better when cooked on a gas cooker.

1 Like

I forgot to add to my previous post … I also have a Salamander wall mounted gas grill which is also fed from the bottled propane gas.

1 Like

I cook on gas LOL BUT will change to an electric oven when I change and gas hob.

1 Like

I learned to use an electric cooker when I was fourteen whilst R Mar was in hospital having abdominal surgery. Ten years later my mum bought a new cooker and gave me the one I learned to cook on when I bought my first home. I carried out culinary experiments on friends and family, and especially on my cousins using the timer facility to great effect. Later, I wooed my Lovely Cousin with dishes such as roast duck with all the trimmings, home made pizza, and home-made cheesecake.

She was a gas girl and had been brought up to use a gas cooker. When we married I got rid of my trusty old Belling electric cooker and bought a gas jobby instead.

Over the years we gradually drifted towards a gas hob and fan assisted gas oven. When the latter packed up we changed it for a fan assisted electric oven.

We can’t have an induction hob because I have a pacemaker, and installing a standard electric hob would mean installing heavy duty power cables, so we will stick with what we have got for the time being.

1 Like