Electric car battery swaps!

Norway is trying out a system whereby the whole battery pack is exchanged
when they need charging, this takes about 8 minutes and you can remain
in the car whilst the change over takes place !!
The advantages of this are that besides being much faster is that as you
only lease the batteries, the price of the car is about £7000 cheaper for
the car driver and you will always have the latest tech batteries in your car ?
The disadvantages are that a chain of recharging stations need to be established first in order to get the system going, this is being addressed in
Norway by the founding company in conjunction with Shell Oil building
about 20 battery exchanges across Norway to start with !!
Apparently this system is allready common in China ??
What do you think ?
The only snag l can see is that if it catches on then we will need a hell of
a lot of batteries !!
Donkeyman!! :thinking::thinking:

Interesting documentary recently on UK TV and the biggest problem with electric vehicles is recharging. It seems the infrastructure in the UK is pretty crap with non working charging stations being the norm and the complexity of actualy getting one to work using carols apps and something that I had never thought about is charging your car over night and cables running accross the pavement which of course is trip hazard.

@LongDriver , That’s it ! could be the answer for UK ?
We only need so many change over stations instead of everyone doing
their own charging clogging up the cities streets ?
But now we have inflated power prices things may change ??
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

Not for me and my wife it wont! We’re sticking with our ICE cars until we are no longer fit to drive. We have a driveway for charging a EV but the incoming supply cable is not of sufficient capacity for rapid charging and our existing connected load.

1 Like

Is it a one size fits all?
Or is it like tyres, ?

@LongDriver , But you won’t need an incoming supply cable at all with
this system LD, all your batteries will be ready charged at the station ready
to be exchanged with your flat ones ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

@Vlad , ‘is it one size fits all’ ?
I don’t know Vlad, but l think it must be one size fits all or it would cause problems with the equipement ?
As you will be leasing the batteries l suppose they convert your car to fit
the system,

Thanks, it does seem to be a good idea, but like you mentioned the infrastructure will need looking at

Not only infrastructure but also suitably placed & spaced exchange stations with many fully charged units available to be exchanged.

@LongDriver , Praps we should wait and see how Norway gets on with this ?
They plan to have about twenty odd stations across the country ?
But their roads are much fewer than ours so probably not a good comparison ?

I firmly believe that hydrogen is the logical way forward BUT I also believe that the day of the car for almost everyone is coming to an end.

1 Like

When you think about our reliance on lithium and other rare metals used in the production of batteries, I worry about our ability to provide such an abundance of power storage. From smartphones to computers, power tools and household devices, to storing energy from solar panels and wind turbines, and not least the rush to provide electric vehicles. Never in our history have we needed to supply so much in such a short space of time.
The need for oil and gas had gradually increased over a couple of hundred years to the level at which we consume it today, and the infrastructure had time to grow in line with the demand.
We have seen a sudden massive rise in the demand for Lithium batteries in around twenty years. I agree with Todger, and believe that liquified gas is the way forward, and conventional engines can be adapted for the use of gas. Otherwise, there is going to be an awful lot of wasted engines, and isn’t recycling more responsible that throwing the whole lot away?
Just one more reason why turning the country on to EV’s has nothing to do with saving the planet or reducing pollution.

All the electric cars i’ve seen on the box have always had the battery packs located in multiple locations around the car because of the size and weight.

1 Like

@The_Artful_Todger @OldGreyFox ,
Me too!!
Hydrogen is the way to go !
But before that , atomic power stations to make the hydrogen etc !!
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Hyundai already have hydrogen powered trucks on the road and available to buy.
Hyundai Hydrogen Mobility (hyundai-hm.com)

1 Like

@LongDriver , They look good LD, But still need a method of refuelling ??

Yes, obviously those trucks need a pressurised hydrogen supply or they will soon run to a stop.

1 Like

Eddie Stobart has been using a few Volvo gas powered trucks for quite a while to see if they are viable. He even has his own gas storage facility at one of his depots.

1 Like

Yes, but his are LPG powered.

2 Likes