Election Advertising

Hi

I use Nextdoor, a good site for warning each other what is going on nearby.

Reports of Anti Social Behaviour, scams, appeals for CCTV footage etc.

It has been hijacked with political advertising.

Yesterday it was a Message from Rishi Sunak.

Completely wrong in my opinion

2 Likes

I agree, completely wrong. But political parties have long been clever at hijacking targeted ads on such social media sites. The Brexit campaigns in 2016 demonstrated the power of this and Dominic Cummings was highly adept at applying this. And as you note, often presented as “messages” rather than adverts. The targeting is key. Here, the site you refer appeals to people concerned about things that cause fear - and the Tory party is playing on fear. Be sure that this will be a theme of their coming general election campaign. It is dismal stuff.

I agree that the NextDoor site should not be used for National political campaigns nor for political discussion.
Any posts of that sort should be deleted, in my opinion - I’m not sure how the site is moderated or monitored.

I like using NextDoor to share local info, which is what it was designed for.
A while ago, there was one woman who joined out local NextDoor and she really spoiled it by taking every opportunity to post politically motivated rants and digs, not just about local matters.
I stopped looking on the site for a while because it stopped feeling friendly due to the political arguments she stirred up.
After a few months, I logged on again and was relieved to see no sign of any posts from her, so maybe some action was taken to stop her.
The site is back to being friendly and useful again.

We get notices and news items from our local Parish and County Councils but I haven’t ever seen any national political PR posted by political parties on my NextDoor pages, nor any messages from Rishi Sunak - even though Rishi has his country house in my neighbourhood catchment area! :wink:

Hi

Thank you for your concerns.

I think you genuinely misunderstand.

This is not about fear at all.

There are no Police around to do anything effective.

It is about knowledge about those who are doing it.

After a series of reports to the Police without anything being done, it is dealt with locally.

Yes, I know this is wrong, but this is where we are here in the UK.

Instructions have been given to not sentence Rapists to Prison because of lack of space.

That is not a Joke, that is the realty of the situation.

I live in an area where a response will be given.

I usually have a poke around on our local neighbourhood site to see who was burgled recently, or had their car nicked, but I resist the urge to comment because some posts do attract abuse and aggression and I prefer to vent my spleen on the forum where we are more civilised…