Earthquake in Wales

Did anyone feel the Earth move last night , Did things rattle and Shake ?

An earthquake has shaken parts of Wales overnight.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the 3.7 magnitude quake happened at 23:59 GMT on Friday. The epicentre was just north of Brynmawr, Blaenau Gwent, and west of Crickhowell, Powys.

BBC journalist Alex Humphreys said she felt the “mini earthquake” in Cardiff, 30 miles (50km) away.

Gwent Police said it had received “multiple calls” overnight but it was “business as usual” for the force.

The BGS said the earthquake was 1.8 miles (3km) under the Earth’s surface.

“My whole bed shook,” Ms Humphreys tweeted. Others described it as a “scary” experience.

1 Like

Did the earth move for Ms Humphries? I doubt it…But it would have if she lived with me…
:nerd_face:

Alex Humphries

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: No I wasn’t thinking of that sort of earth move , but thanks for replying

2 Likes

I felt this.
I was lying in bed listening to the cricket.
I thought I felt the bed move!
Thought nothing of it!
Not an unusual occurence in these parts.
Definitely wasn’t scary!
I have been reminded South Wales is at the end of a major fault line that stretches far into Europe.
Anyway

2 Likes

My son lives in the Rhondda, he said it felt like the floorboards or joists were giving way.

2 Likes

… especially with old mines collapsing, eh?

1 Like

Yeah…been much worse ones -in terms of what shook-than last night.

2 Likes

Nah, that was just the poltergeist under your bed…

Who you gonna call :phone:

1 Like

I 'm a Rhondda boy too Mags and I didn’t feel a thing…maybe it’s because I’m a heavy sleeper

2 Likes

Or, maybe there isn’t a poltergeist under your bed…

1 Like

You were lucky to have a good nights sleep then, Wishbone :+1: :grinning:

1 Like

I have beenin three earthquakes in my life, one in Iran, one in Afghanistan and one in Sydney.

The Sydney one I slept through, the other two I definitely did not but descended several flights of stairs without touching the ground.

After the one in Afghanistan we moved across the street from a mud brick hotel to concrete “earthquke proof” hotel.

I am told that my home town of Folkestone had an earthquake a few years back that caused some damage and Newcastle (on Hunter) suffered very badly in the 1980s where several people were killed.

1 Like

I am just pleased and relieved that not a single person was hurt.
I love wales.

1 Like

Earth tremors ,as they would better be called,never really cause issues here.
Except the odd thing falling off a shelf.
Or ,as happened once in a school where I was working, a cracked wooden window frame.
The kids were outside at the time and my colleague didn’t believe we’d just had an earth tremor!
She didn’t notice anything.

Don’t like the headlines around this and the one in Cornwall that also occurred around the same time.
Given what happened in Turkey and Syria.
But the press like to sensationalise😀

1 Like

I understand the one in Wales was quite serious and did over twenty quids worth of damage…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

We had a mini quake just a few years ago in Crawley.
Quite exciting!
Something to chat about on Metrobus.

1 Like

There is a Wikipedia page about the Folkestone earthquake (I was curious)

1 Like