Has anybody had DVT ? I have just been diagnosed and would be really interested to hear your experiences, especially how long your recovery period was
Thanks
Has anybody had DVT ? I have just been diagnosed and would be really interested to hear your experiences, especially how long your recovery period was
Thanks
I have to say that DVT is not something I’ve had to endure.From what I’ve read there’s a balance to be struck between resting/elevating the limb and some gentle exercise. I’m guessing the doctor’s set out some kind of programme?
Wishing you a speedy recovery Ambre! ![]()
![]()
Thank you Chilliboot, I just noticed this thread has been viewed 77 times so I’m guessing by the lack of replies nobody has any experience of it
Ambre I worry about getting this because I’ve known two people diagnosed with it. A colleague who it took a few months to recover including hospitalisation - she stopped smoking after that. Also a friend who took much longer to shift two clots that had travelled to his lungs. Both are as far as I know now OK. The friend had a whole host of other health problems and various operations. The health issues likely caused the DVT because he was inactive.
The friend who had the clots in his lungs took ages to recover and had to change his lifestyle, he stopped drinking and went on a vegetarian diet. The drugs they were using to dissolve the clots took months to work for some reason. That’s probably quite normal, but I hadn’t heard of it before his experience.
It’s also a condition that can come back because one period of inactivity leads to more problems. Doing simple exercises like the ankle twirls and point and keeping legs raised when sitting down helps if you can’t exercise normally. It might help to have a healthy weight.
I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this. Fingers crossed it will heal soon.
I have never had it either but on my flight to the UK recently my daughter insisted I wear some ugly knee high elastic socks on the flight.
Thank you Annie, it’s good to hear of others experience rather than just the facts on Google !
I do not drink or smoke, still work as a volunteer and out each morning shopping or for a walk so quite active, if watching TV, I get up each time the ads come on ![]()
It started out of the blue, my left leg becoming very swollen from waist to ankle, I am on blood thinners but, as you say they dissolve the clots but can also cause swelling and bruising both of which I have….i can barely walk, cannot get in the bath unaided and was surprised to see just how long it can last
I am doing the ankle twirl thing, walking as best I can around the home and keeping it elevated
Thanks again and I hope your friends make full recoveries
Ambre they did recover but it takes a long time. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Make sure you elevate your legs on a footstool when at rest. I’m sure you already have a healthy diet if you don’t drink or smoke. I wish you luck with getting back to full mobility. It’s so frustrating that it came out of the blue.
I do not have any experience of that infliction, but I do at 86 take the prescribed rivaroxaban to prevent DVT’s and also a stroke because I have an indwelling pacemaker. I am lucky as I have a very attentive health care team who leave nothing to chance.
Good to know you are being well looked after LongDriver
I’m takin Apixaban which seem to be causing more swelling and bruising so things are not great but I’m managing to get about, albeit with a limp
Ah yes, the dreaded Apixaban. I was tried out on that med and it caused me all kinds of problem from skin eruptions to a bleeding tongue. I was also tried on another anticoagulant, but since being prescribed the daily 15mg Rivaroxaban, I’ve not experienced any unwanted side effects👍
Thanks for that I’ll mention it to my doctor