Dutch city becomes world’s first to ban meat adverts in public

Exactly … :+1:

2 Likes

I only eat chicken breast and rarely these days anyway so could quite easily be vegetarian. The ban on advertising doesn’t bother me personally . I feel sorry for farm animals as Summer said, such a short life just so we humans can eat them. I’d rather not. Those animals deserve a life for as long as possible.

I for one would be delighted if the slaughter of animals were banned but its always going to be a controversial subject with so many meat lovers .

2 Likes

Is “they” government workers?

The Dutch government just invested £60 million in helping cell-based meat production.

And 70% of the Dutch people approve of this direction.

Some councils have already gone meat-free with any refreshments they serve, both in Holland and UK.

I’m just surprised that any councils are still providing funding for banquets! - Are they really?
Ever since Cameron brought in austerity, even tea and biccies have been struck off the agenda at the meetings I’ve attended at our district council offices - all you’ll get there is a drink of water if you’re thirsty, unless you take your own refreshments!

1 Like

This was my thought. Stop having government sponsored meals, not provide more vegan ones. But I’m not sure how it works there.

I don’t have a problem with you being a vegetarian but I don’t think you should impose it on others.

2 Likes

That’s in England. I doubt they do that in the Hague.

Does this count?

1 Like

As I said , some councils, both in Holland and UK - I have read that Amsterdam is one council which serves vegan food by default - if you want meat you have to ask for it in advance.

I guess they could go totally vegan and not offer a choice at all - but then some folk would accuse them of being too dictatorial and restricting freedom of choice!

“They” can’t win whatever they do!

1 Like

Well its a start, at least they will practice what they preach.

How very exciting !

What is? :017:

I was being tongue in cheek.
Being a confirmed omnivore I enjoy food of all sorts and varieties.
I’m about to fry up some lovely smoked rashers of bacon.
Banning adverts for meat no way, a bit creepy.

2 Likes

I can smell it from here! I haven’t had bacon for about 18 months, but gosh…I miss it!

Banning meat ads, well…I just hope it doesn’t catch on really. I mean adults know the score, we can make better choices for the environment than just stop eating meat. It goes far deeper than that. For example (derailing my own thread here) jet planes. How many celebs travelled over here for Cop26 on private planes, while lecturing to us about reducing our carbon footprint?

1 Like

Get yourself a nice gammon joint, stud it heavily with cloves… maybe a little apple sauce?

Seriously though, I’m coming round to the idea of alternatives, although the super glue mob don’t exactly help the cause if indeed there is one .

1 Like

The alternatives are there, and plentiful - and I’m not going to dictate who should eat what, that isn’t my business at all. I just don’t like the thought of being dictated to by the “do as I say, not do as I do” mob :pig: :meat_on_bone: :cut_of_meat:

1 Like

Nobody should dictate what we eat, and I find it a very selfish attitude to suggest otherwise.
As if stopping eating meat is going to save the world…Are these people real?

2 Likes

The Govt’s seem to think it will :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Don’t you believe that it’s been done for our benefit or for the good of the planet. Somebody is making a lot of money out of this Pixie.

1 Like

I agree, Foxy :frowning_face:

1 Like