Dutch city becomes world’s first to ban meat adverts in public

Adverts will not be allowed on Haarlem’s buses, shelters and screens in public spaces, prompting complaints from the meat sector that the municipality is “going too far in telling people what’s best for them”.

• Given what is going on with the Dutch farmers - v - Government, this isn’t going to end well :thinking:
1 Like

I don’t know. Isn’t it a bit like the junk food ad. ban on tubes & buses. And during prime time kids TV?

Doesn’t mean much.

1 Like

Dutch farming industry is in chaos due to their government closing down farms and taking over land. Firearms are being used, with one 16 year old boy in a tractor (who was driving away) being shot at (he survived).

In a place where anything goes, somehow meat is being prohibited citing “climate change concerns”

Being a veggie I’m all for the ban on meat advertisements.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah, but, it’s not meat that’s being prohibited.

I didn’t know about farms being closed down.

1 Like

Hi

Here we go.

Vegetarians and vegans in particular are doing more damage to the world’s environment and ecology than omnivores.

2 Likes

What Banning an advertisement is worse than consuming red meat .
Cutting down the rainforest to grow crops from McDonald’s
With deforestation comes landslides swallowing up villages

2 Likes

Hi

No, I am not on the morphine or worse medication at the moment.

I am not on any mind altering stuff, just being very rational and making a scientifically correct statement.

I am well aware of the trouble I am getting into.

There are two sides to every story, think palm oil and orangutans.

Since moving to this house and having sheep for neighbours who come running to greet me every morning for apples…Im seriously considering becoming full vegetarian…I eat very little meat anyway and my daughter and my sister are both veggies or vegans…

Its so sad that my cute friendly little neighbours only have about 8 months of life before ending up on a dinner plate :frowning:

If banning adverts means less meat consumption I’m all for it

4 Likes

Don’t worry I’m not going to be mean to you :rofl: hope you are feeling a lot better.
But honestly meat production is bad for the environment.
Not only is it unsustainable and inhumane with farmers now
resorting to factory farm beef. Its so sad millions of animals are raised each year to be slaughtered.
The livestock industry is responsible for around 14.5 % of global greenhouse gas emissions also loss of biodiversity.

Yes palm oil another horror check product labels before purchasing.

2 Likes

If this was a blanket ban on advertising meat, I would say it was too draconian and restrictive on individual freedoms.
But it is not a blanket ban.

All the city council are doing is refusing to advertise meat products, which they feel contribute to climate change, on publicly owned land which is managed by the council/government.
Such ads will not be allowed on ad spaces controlled by the city government, such as bus stops and shelters.

Ziggy Klazes, a councillor from the GroenLinks party which introduced the motion, says the ban is only intended for some types of meat.
We want to ban advertising for meat, but not all meat - just the meat that comes from the big meat industry, industrial farming ”

I’m not sure how they decide which meat products do contribute to global warming and which do not - I think there may be a bone of contention there!

However, if councils / governments want to stop advertising which promotes products they believe contribute to global warming, I have no problem with that. Some Dutch cities are also refusing to advertise products & services involving aviation and fossil fuels on public property which is managed by them.

If they start telling other landowners and property owners they may not put up posters advertising meat, I’d agree that is too restrictive.

1 Like

It’s not just ban on the advertising of meat .
The ban also covers holiday flights, fossil fuels and cars that run on fossil fuels. The ban is delayed until 2024 due to existing contracts with companies that sell the products.

2 Likes

Hi

I do not wish to derail this thread, so I will, within the next few days, start a new thread about the science and mythology of vegetarianism and veganism.

There are many reasons to eat less meat, factory farming and animal welfare are very valid ones.

It is just that I am not convinced by the barrage of so called science that surrounds the rampant advertising push for a meat free world.

4 Likes

Thank you for being so respectful, Swimmy! I’d be interested to contribute to that thread :+1:

This is an experiment, and if proved successful in reducing meat consumption, it will be rolled out across other cities and other countries.

2 Likes

I’m not a vegetarian, nor do I have any axe to grind with those who are. But, because of the cost of power, I have taken to eating a lot of vegetable based meals. While I cannot claim a notable improvement in my overall health, (that may show later) I can claim that the addition of meat would add little to my enjoyment of the meal. To return to topic. If I am contributing less to climate change by this. (Bonus) We must all get real about our individual effects on climate, the problem is not the next generation’s, it’s ours now.

3 Likes

I agree that it’s our problem now to deal with, but I find that too many people (in power) are wagging the finger at us, yet doing nothing at all to help with the changes they want us to make.

3 Likes

They seem to be banning adverts on meat so less people are enticed to buy it.

What kind of help are you thinking of, particularly in regards to this ban?

1 Like

Well they could stop eating meat themselves, in this instance. I doubt very much their banquets are entirely meat free…

1 Like

Well! Practising what they preach might be a start.

2 Likes