DSI Grace - ITV

This new series started last night at 8pm. Stars John Simm as DSI Roy Grace. The series is based on the novels by Peter James which were adapted for TV by Russell Lewis (also wrote the Endeavour series). The Telegraph reviewer gave it 4½ * out of 5, the DE wanted to know why it was shown starting before the watershed. We thoroughly enjoyed it having enjoyed the whole of the Roy Grace canon.

It was OK but why does every main character have to have personal issues which are unnecessary and just pad the story when the story is a bit ropey, I do not know why it is but I seem to spot errors or more likely ‘why would you do that moments’
It was OK but I do feel the Dutch, Danes Norwegians and French do this stuff so much better than UK program makers who are trying so hard to be inclusive and politically correct when it comes to casting that they lose sight that they should be making a thriller.

3 Likes

To show they’re human? In any case, Grace’s issues come to the boil in later books when he’s accused of murdering his missing wife and disposing of her body.

Indeed. IIRC, the only issue that Detective Superintendent Lockhart had was a predilection for snuff.

I’ve read half a dozen of the books, but never realised it now on TV.

I might take a look but the timing of these things never seem to suit me. That’s why I watch netflix, I can do it when I want.

Funny that The Sweeny etc did not need to prove this but then of course we did not get a warning that a man might look at a woman and all the other ridiculous warnrnings we seem to need before any and all programing.

1 Like

I turned it off 8pm and all that violence youngsters still watching TV and violent stabbings and nasty evil stuff and bits of bodies in a dogs mouth . Should not be shown at that time .

And I am no prude

1 Like

I watched it and was puzzled as to why it stated Series 1, Episode 2. I hadn’t seen Episode 1, last week.
I then realised Episode 1 had been shown last year, where a bridegroom was buried alive in a coffin as a Stag night stunt.

I found last night’s episode quite scary but l thought it was good. My sister has read all the author’s books and she says, the books are better.

I also liked it because my daughter lives in Brighton Hove, where it’s filmed and l recognise some of the places.

I generally agree with your sister on this, Art. Having said this, Peter James, the author of the Grace series, does have some control over the production of these series from what I’ve read. In fact, he and his wife will appear in one or two episodes later on as … wait for it … police officers.

1 Like

What’s known as a pilot episode.

1 Like

My sister told me not to watch it - last week’s - said it was gross.
Will try tonight’s episode and see…

Edit: it was good, really enjoyed it :+1:

Wasn’t gross at all; just a bit … well … daft really. Having said that, Peter James does write psycho thrillers as well as the DSI Grace series and I have detected a bit of a spill over between the 2 genres.

So many flaws in last nights story if this is police work then god help us all.
For me the over the top politically correct casting spoils most TV programs these days.

1 Like

We recorded it last night to watch later in the week. I don’t understand what you mean about PC casting, Fraggle. According to the books, AC Alison Vosper isn’t described as white or black, DS Glen Brandon is described as black, DS Bella Moy is described as black in the books but is played by a white actress in this series.

The really silly thing…look away now if you haven’t seen it yet…

Was the idea of identical triplets.
It’s so rare as to be ludicrous, millions to one chance of it ever happening.

And of course to be politically correct one would have been a white male one a black female and the third a mixed race transgender. :rofl: :rofl:

I have read most of the Grace books and to be honest I am very disappointed with the television versions. Many of the stories seem to jump around and are quite unlike what I have as an interpretation of the books. They just don’t seem to come across very well to me and if I see him wearing a white suit and pulling that hood up much more I will scream.

1 Like

But, Aerolor, that’s exactly how those Tyvek suits should be worn - full body coverage to prevent any cross-contamination (unlike on Silent Witness where they NEVER pull the hoods up for a “normal” body).

Yes, but this Banks seems to like to wear his going to and coming from every situation, whether he is getting hands on or not. Maybe it is because I have read most of the Banks books, that find the TV character a bit disappointing. Same with Alison Vosper, Branson and Potting - also Bella Moy. I watched the last one and have decided to try and forget the books and treat it as if I have no idea what the storyline is supposed to be Treat the TV series independent from the books. I suppose it is always the way that the books are better than the TV or film versions. At least they are to me.

I’ve read all the Grace books and I do agree that, as is generally the case, the books are better than the TV adaptations but these aren’t that bad. My post 14 gave my thoughts on the actors/actresses cast in the main roles. This last episode introduced us to DSI Casian Pew, Grace’s nemesis on and off throughout the rest of the book series, but I can’t remember how James describes him in the books.