Drought on its Way?

The 3rd consecutive La Nina event is dying and could be finished by Autumn. My garden has received 2400mm of rain in the last year (nearly 2.5 metres), it is usually about 1300mm per year.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has advised that 40 per cent of past La Niña events have switched to El Niño events in the same year that a La Niña has ended.

Personally, as a non farmer and gardener, I like droughts, sunny, hot, low humidity suits me down to the ground.

The 10 year Millennium drought was great! Though I did have an English visitor who commented that the one thing she was looking forward to on her return to the UK was seeing a cloud. I had to chuckle.

As an aside I do like the fact that the software thinks:

Your thread is similar to…

More than 40,000 have walked away from the NHS in the past year

I wonder how it worked that out? Sometimes AI is too clever for its own good

I should point out that it is not currently dry

Bruce how do Australians manage for water during a drought? Do you have underground reservoirs or your own personal well?

I don’t know much about regional areas or water in general. Sydney has massive reservoirs built during the 1920s and the rate per kilolitre now depends on the dam level. Wollongong water comes from the Avon Dam, other towns up and down the coast get their water from rivers (and hydro schemes)

Places like Broken Hill have been drought proofed with pipe lines and of course there is the great artesian basin. South Australia I think relies on the Murray River and Northern Australia the Monsoons. I know towns do run out of water and it has to be trucked in but at the moment Sydney for example has many years of supply.

A lot of country towns seem to rely on bore water which is often hard (and furs up my kettle) or the local river and weirs. As I say I don’t know too much about it only what I have seen when travelling.

1 Like