Drink from your bottle---then eat it!

Snapshot answer

It’s an edible juice bottle, says Dezeen. The creation, from Swedish design studio Tomorrow Machine, is made from a “potato starch-based material” coated in a “bio-based, water-resistant barrier” on both sides. Once its contents are drunk, the bottle can be peeled like fruit rind. The material then begins to decompose, and can be eaten or dissolved in water…
The Knowledge

1 Like

I wonder how much one of those would set you back in ASDA ?

1 Like

It’s probably two of your five a day

1 Like

It sounds like a good idea,but it would have to have good packaging to keep dirty hands touching it.
And i think it would cost alot too.

1 Like

For some reason a lot of the photos you post appear as a blank rectangle. I don’t know why.

Oddly I can view them by copying the link and putting them in another Window but that is far too much trouble.

1 Like

Anyone else have this problem?
I can see them😀
May be how I post them…
Can you see the one at the top of the post?

Or this…
Or both or neither?

Clever, but I doubt it tastes good! Plus it would be dirty from touching and storing, I expect most people would just dissolve them to dispose

Which raises the question of is dissolved starch OK for the environment

1 Like

It’s made from potato starch, so I can’t see it harming the environment.

I put potato peelings on the compost heap, so they go back onto the garden when they have broken down.

The potato starch this bottle is made from dissolves in water in just 20 minutes, though. The potatoes must go through a process to obtain just the starch, so not sure what the carbon footprint of that process would be.

I found a website of the company that has made this bottle and has been experimenting with other types of bio-degradable packaging made from extruded starch.

2 Likes

I cannot see the first one but I can see the one in this post (that I am replying to)

1 Like

I can see your picture in the OP and could when you started the thread.

I like the edible container idea. I want to see how it works out in practice. For some reason, reminds me of those wax juice candies when I was young.

1 Like

Thanks…I shall remember that