Drama In Schools

Many years ago I was in several school plays, musicals.
I can’t sing, but was still cast in The Mikado as one of the little maids. :grinning:
I was Portia in The Merchant Of Venice.
Tweeny in The Admirable Crichton.
Later when I was in the WI, I also acted in a few plays our group put on.

Never had the inclination to carry on with it after school, the WI acting was just a hobby.
Did anyone else act in school dramas & did you want to do it professionally after school?

2 Likes

I didnt do drama in fact we didn’t have drama classes in our secondary school unfortunately. I wish we did. A bit different but i played in the school band. I also took stage and tap dancing lessons but once I reached 14 and discovered boys my dedication to dance and music waned. What a silly girl I was. I could have been a star now :rofl: never mind though I’m a queen so that’s OK innit :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds as if you were very musical LQ. We can all look back & regret things we didn’t carry on with. :grinning:
It wasn’t boys I discovered, but horses. :grinning: I was a late developer. :grinning:

1 Like

Me too Tiffs :slight_smile:

1 Like

At out school we did a Gilbert and Sullivan production every Christmas. It was an all girls school so the girls had to sing the men’s part, it was a hoot!

I was Buttercup once but usually just in the chorus.

My voice is like a cat being strangled so I never sung much after that, except I still do Gilbert and Sullivan mopping the floors

I couldn’t act for the life of me at school but we all did our bit. What I did well was was a four-part harmony in the church.

1 Like

I never really grew out of it either. I can remember my Dad saying to my Mum that I would, but I managed to combine boys & horses for most of my life. :grinning:

We were an all girls school as well, girls had to act the men’s parts and as I couldn’t sing, the Mikado was the only musical I was ever in.

Only the kind that took place behind the gym after school. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :frowning_face:

2 Likes

You could sing then, can you still sing?

Just for myself.

1 Like

Lovely memories of the past remembered here.

I was a nun in the school’s ‘Sound of Music’ production and can still recall the words of the Nun’s Chorus in Latin. The following year the school did an ‘Around the World’ song and dance production and I was a Russian dancer during a rendition of ‘Kalinka’. In my fourth and final year, the school staged a ‘Black & White Minstrel’ production (how un-PC nowadays) when I recall singing such songs as “Mama, he’s making eyes at me” and 'By the light of the silvery moon".

Happy and innocent days indeed. Did I miss my vocation … I think not!

1 Like

Not acting, but music yes part time, which in itself if a performance act playing n singing to an audience :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

We didn’t really have drama lessons at school but the school did put on plays and concerts but as far as I remember people practiced in lunch hours or stayed on after school.

My son had Drama classes at school and hated it and his report said “he is not a natural thespian”. :rofl::rofl: However, he has a fantastic sense of humour, can do great impressions of people and is really funny. When our house was full of his friends as teenagers he would have them in fits of laughter. I just think he didn’t like being told what to do.

1 Like

ohhhhhh singing By the light, of the silvery moon, I love to croon, with my honey I’ll croon loves tune, I’ve got a good voice haven’t I :slight_smile:

…awww thank you for bringing that lovely song back to my memory.

2 Likes

I did a few acts in the Christmas show. Mainly modified stand up, borrowed from the Comedians I liked on TV.

But one year when the weather was awful I decided to take part in a school production of The Pirates of Penzance. It got us out of the rain & cold.

A few weeks into rehearsals, I found I really liked it.

1 Like

I was in Peter Pan at school, I played the mother never had the confidence to do more.

1 Like