Downton Abbey - a new era

Spent a most uncomfortable 2:10mins in the Vue Cinema. For some inconceivable reason they have made all their seats ‘recliners’ so one cannot sit upright properly - even with the footrests down - but have to slouch at an angle that risks curvature of the spine! I had to make a sort of cushion to support my back by rolling my jacket round my handbag. Will not be going there again.

As for the film - the phrase over milking the cash cow comes to mind. A pathetic script over stuffed with fragmented stories - most of which were completely unecessary and also unbelievable. The best bit of the whole film was at the end - Maggie Smith on her death bed - family gathered weeping and wailing - Maggie says ‘Stop that noise, I can’t hear myself dying’. She always did have the best lines!

4 Likes

That made me laugh out loud .

I did wonder about the trailers it was showing whether they were straining it …

1 Like

They certainly have - they have filled it with totally improbable situations! The worrying thing is - they have left the door open! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Saw the film myself a couple of weeks ago - loved it.

Loved the reclining seats at our local Odeon too…

1 Like

I used to enjoy Downton, but don’t know how I’d feel about these extra films without seeing them.
On the surface it does seem like they’re milking it now though.

I don’t think I would like those seats either, Tabby. I think it would bother my back after a while.

Oh well, at least you went, and we don’t know if we don’t give these things a try.

1 Like

LOL - it wouldn’t do if we all liked the same things, Carol. Hated the seats because I prefer to sit upright with my back properly supported.

Did you see the first Downton Abbey film? I haven’t even seen that so not sure I should go and see this one, without seeing that first!

It does sound as if the whole saga is being stretched way too thin now - to be honest, much as I loved the series, I always felt it started to get faintly ridiculous around season 4, if not earlier. I still watched it, but felt almost apologetic about my loyalty to it :roll_eyes: :joy:

1 Like

I’ve never watched Downton Abbey, I’m not really into stuff like that. All the seats at our posh cinema are recliners but you can set it to your own comfort. I’m a laid back kinda gal and I’ve been known to fall asleep in those chairs haha. My GtAunts kids still laugh about that.

I’m sorry what was supposed to be an enjoyable experience turned out not so good.
x

1 Like

Yes I saw the first one and wasn’t overly impressed with it.
The new one is much better - as good as the series…

1 Like

That’s so interesting carol.
I enjoyed the first film but from what I’ve read the second isn’t nearly so good.
Now I shall have to see it and make up my own mind!

1 Like

I did - and it was rubbish. I did not want to go to this one but my friend did - and would not go on her own. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I’ll be interested in what you think of it Ruthio.
When are you thinking of going?

As soon as I can escape one afternoon!!