Don't take a fence

When I bought my house it came with a pond already stocked with fish. I tried all sorts of things to keep predators such as herons and foxes out. This was a previous attempt from a couple of decades ago. Make a note of the newel posts and balustrade spindles on the left as you will be seeing them again later.

With in a week, foxes had chewed through the rope, so I replaced it with brass chain.

Since then the wooden spindles have quietly rotted over the intervening years, I needed a more durable replacement. Following some research, my Lovely Cousin and I came across this simple fencing system. The two panel sizes gave us (me) the flexibility needed to go round curves of ever varying radius.

All that was needed was to break out my SDS drill and punch holes in the concrete pond surround …

and bang in a few fence staples with my trusty all-steel hammerfor.

The old bridge-sides were rotten, although the non-slip deck was still in good condition, so I needed to make new arches …

before refitting the decking.

Phase 1 complete.

Now on to the main part of the pond.

As another project, I intend to narrow the chute at the top end to increase the velocity and hopefully produce more “white-water”.

For several years now we have had problems with foxes and badgers burrowing under the back fence. I think I have stopped them, but we have to check every time before we can let our little doggy beyond the yard area outside the back door, so we needed a gate to stop him escaping before checking.
Curved offcuts from the bridge span plus a pair of spindles from the balustrade to form a gate…

plus some angle iron brackets made from an old bed frame to mount the gate posts …

and the recycled newel posts ended with this artistic creation. It is true to say I am ever so slightly chuffed with the final result.

6 Likes

Brilliant, Fruitcake - you are so inventive, creative, and talented!

1 Like

Do you think it is worthy of a Blue Peter badge then? I would love to replace the one I had when I was a kid.

1 Like

Beautiful landscape and amazing craftmanship. Wow!

Great job Fruitcake, and I love your workshop…
:+1:

1 Like

Terrrific job me oul Fruit, well displayed with great snaps, God bless your hands and long may they swing yer trusty hammer. :wink: :smiley:

3 Likes

ya gonna paint it all white?

1 Like

Amazing work Fruitcake, I’m very impressed! :+1:

1 Like

Looks brilliant well done

1 Like

Wow. Love how talented you are fruity.

Brilliant

1 Like

Simply put, you are a handyman and a creative wonder! I love the detail, the craftsmanship, and…fortitude to stick with it.

Now, I will wait patiently for my invite to see this marvel and have a sip of tea with you and your lovely cousin. I’m across the pond, so I know these posts take time. I can wait. :blush:

1 Like

great work love to see it

1 Like

I’m making scones this afternoon. Would 4pm suit?

1 Like

Aye, but it needs to be fish friendly paint.

Gosh I am in awe of your creativity and craftsmanship Fruity! It all looks absolutely wonderful, and I hope it succeeds in keeping the pesky foxes and herons away from your fish!

1 Like

Stunning work that, Fruity. :+1:

Looks good @Fruitcake a neighbour has a fish pond and he put a electric fence around his, he said that it doesn’t hurt the birds or animals, it’s only a light shock and they go away unhurt.

1 Like

Ooooh what a beautifull garden Fruitcake,great job done too,nice one.

1 Like

oh give the man a break ; he’ll only wanna try and do better next time !

1 Like

To finish this project, I made another gate to keep the dogs from escaping into the garage when the door is open, using some more wood offcuts and two left over fence panels.

I then needed another gate to close off this gap.

I needed a four panel span, but they only come in a three and a one. I only had two single jobbies, and a three and a one didn’t look right.

The solution was to cut down a three, and add my last two singles, as well as making it look like two separate gates, like so.

Next I needed to cut down some timber framing to make the rest of the gate.

Trial assembly.

A coat of stain.

In it’s final resting place.

Triplets.

3 Likes