Don't park by the sea

Ilfracombe last weekend

4 Likes

That’s another reason why I moved a mile or so inland, that and to miss the very severe coastal winds. Living right at the sea’s edge is great in clam summer days, but when in normal windy mode, my previous house would be under almost constant attack🤬

2 Likes

you would think the Council would put a barrier across when rough sea is imminent.

2 Likes

The locals must know about that car park.
Makes me wonder.

1 Like

That was awesome! Wonder how each car owner processed a claim, especially with one or two crashing into another. Eeeeek.

But what twats, eh, trying to outrun a wave?!

3 Likes

May have been visitors not familiar with the area.

2 Likes

Wow the power of the sea…
Here there are big gates that close the road off when a high tide coincides with the storm.

2 Likes

There’s such a thing as weather forecasts and common sense… isn’t there? :wink:

3 Likes

I grew up in an English seaside town, the local car dealers reckoned the sea air made the cars rust out quicker anyway. My old man used to drive to Canterbury or Ashford to buy his cars.

1 Like

In a small sea’s village to my west, many visitors ignore large and plentiful notices warning about potential tidal flooding. Also the pubs have smaller but easily seen notices about flooding, and these too are frequently ignored and cars damaged by the sea.

3 Likes

He that will not hear must feel.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that Furryanimal, a bit of a shock for the motorists who parked there when they returned. I would claim the cost of the car park ticket back. I think the blue car near to the sea wall was a disabled driver so was probably unable to get to it in time.

2 Likes

Watching the power of the sea is awesome - but preferably from a safe distance!

Those kids were playing a dangerous game at the beginning of that footage - seeing how the waves moved those cars around, the kids could so easily have become casualties too. When that chap decided to stand between the wall and that blue car while a a couple of huge waves crashed towards him, my heart was in my mouth! I thought that car was going to be pushed forward and crush his legs against the wall.

Phew! It’s lucky that it was only vehicles that were damaged.

4 Likes

Well, looking at it again, it’s such a shame about the unnecessary damage done to visitors’ property. It all depends on how they’d been warned against the power of the rough sea. If they wilfully ignored it, they can’t be helped, though.

1 Like

It’s not unusual to see a car floating out to sea at Bosham Sussex !

1 Like

It’s not unusual to see cars swamped and stranded on the marine drive at Scarborough either Ripple. Some people just love to get close to the action with their smartphones.

2 Likes

People rarely account for ocean tides either which can have your car swimming within hours.

1 Like

I must be careful where I park …was thinking about staying overnight in Scarborough on way to Bamburgh Castle next year !
Maybe Whitby will be safer :wink:

2 Likes

Oh no! Scarborough is very safe Ripple, and it’s such a beautiful resort. We can visit when ever we want because it’s only a couple of hours drive from here…
Mind you, so is Whitby if you like hills and steps…No visit to Whitby would be complete without fish and chips at the famous Magpie…
Went to Bambrough once and loved it, Lindisfarne is well worth a visit while you are up that way but watch out for the tides on the causeway. Always said we would go back but didn’t get round to it yet. Enjoy your stay…Hope the weather stays nice…
:sunglasses:

2 Likes