Donald Trump and writer E Jean Carroll head to court for another trial - defamation and damages - Trump must pay $83.3 million

Not much of the trial seems to get reported in the UK but this caught my eye:

E Jean Carroll’s New York defamation trial against Donald Trump resumed on Thursday with the ex-president’s lawyer trying to discredit her on cross-examination with a bizarre dialectic about genitals and by intimating that she has loose morals.

“Did you ever post any tweets that could be considered sexually explicit?” Alina Habba, Trump’s lead attorney, asked. Carroll’s team objected. Presiding judge Lewis Kaplan sustained the objection.

As Habba hammered on about the sexual commentary on Carroll’s social media accounts (the former Elle columnist has written about sex and relationships for years), questioning took a turn for the absurd.

“Ms Carroll, what does this say: ‘What CAN be done about the penis? It gets large when you want it small, and stays small when you want it large,’” Habba asked, showing a 2013 tweet. “Those were your words, correct?”

“Yes,” Carroll said.

“And you posted them on a public social media account?”

“Yes.”

“And you left that on your Twitter account as we stand here today, correct?”

Carroll answered in the affirmative.

Pressed to explain the tweet, Carroll said: “It’s a philosophical question.”

“Sometimes a woman doesn’t feel like making love and the man wants to,” Carroll explained, adding that sometimes it’s the reverse.

“You discussed penises?” Habba said.

Carroll said: “Yes.”

Well, as a sex counsellor, she would, wouldn’t she but, no doubt, Habba saw the admission as a triumph for herself … :roll_eyes:

Elsewhere, Habba has been reported as having been admonished by the judge for being ignorant of court procedure - when to stand, when to sit, how to present documents to the court, etc.

She certainly has a higher opinion of herself than others have of her:

Alina Habba has, several times, asked Judge Lewis Kaplan to pause proceedings to allow the former president to travel to Florida for the funeral on Thursday of his mother-in-law, Amalija Knavs. “Your Honour, clearly we are not going to finish this trial tomorrow. This trial will go into next week. I am asking your honour to have the kindness that my client deserves to be with his family tomorrow and not have to choose to miss the trial that he has a right to be here for.”

Judge Kaplan denied the request, noting that Mr Trump has the right either to appear in person or be represented by counsel. “And nobody is stopping him from doing either. The application is denied. I will hear no further argument on it. None. Do you understand that word? None. Please sit down."

Ms Habba responded by asking the judge not to speak to her in that way. “I don’t like to be spoken to that way. I’m not going to speak to [Ms Carroll’s lawyer] Ms Kaplan like that. I will not speak to you like that. I am asking your honour to please refrain from speaking to me in that manner.”

Judge Kaplan did not acknowledge her protest and again reiterated that her request to adjourn the case was denied and — again — told her to sit down.

“Somebody said to me, ‘Alina would you rather be smart or pretty?’ And I said, ‘Oh, easy, pretty. You can fake being smart,'” she added.

You’ve got to be good at it though

1 Like

Quite … and, clearly, she isn’t … :laughing:

1 Like

Before Trump took the stand, as both sides were discussing the potential scope of his testimony prior to jurors entering, Trump grumbled: “I never met this woman.”

Judge Kaplan shot back: “Keep your voice down. You’re interrupting these proceedings by talking loudly while you’re counsel is talking,” and that is not permitted, Judge Kaplan warned again.

Trump’s testimony lasted less than five minutes as the judge in this case, Lewis Kaplan, significantly limited what the ex-president could say in court.

“Ms Habba, you may call your next witness,” Judge Kaplan said at about 2.15pm local time.

“Thank you, your honor,” Habba said. “The defense calls President Donald Trump.

Trump stood by his testimony in the deposition and denied instructing anyone to hurt Ms Carroll.

“I have no more questions. Thank you,” Habba said.

A low-key performance from Trump … :man_shrugging:

He had no option.The Judge struck a lot of his remarks off the record.

When she said that he corrected her with just his name Donald John Trump.

2 Likes

lol he couldn’t even get his name right.

1 Like

After I read this, I was reading Reddit when I saw this. The stricken testimony started from the very beginning.

2 Likes

He’s still the President as far as the MAGA mob are concerned.

2 Likes

Donald Trump left court during closing arguments by Ms Carroll’s lawyer, who said Mr Trump was a liar who thought rules did not apply to him. US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is not related to Ms Carroll’s lawyer, told the court that the record "will reflect that Mr Trump rose and walked out of the courtroom".

Before starting her final arguments, Ms Habba tried to introduce social media tweets that were not already in evidence, but the judge would not allow it. After a fiery back-and-forth, Judge Kaplan said: "Ms Habba, you are on the verge of spending some time in the lock-up, now sit down". (1)

Ms Habba, who has repeatedly traded barbs with the judge during this civil defamation trial, was heard swearing under her breath (2) away from the microphone as she sat down, according to the BBC’s US partner CBS News.

In her closing arguments on Friday, Habba argued the jury should award Ms Carroll no damages, saying her arguments have “more holes than Swiss cheese”. Ms Habba told the court that Ms Carroll was happy to have the fame, claiming Ms Carroll now makes more money than she did in 2019, when the defamatory comments were made. She also sought to portray Ms Carroll as a “scandalous” character.

The jury will deliberate after Friday’s closing arguments, and the pressure of that eventual outcome has caused significant friction in the courtroom.

(1) Habba hasn’t got a clue about court procedure … :roll_eyes:

(2) Who does she think she is… :question:

A juror had Covid symptoms,she claimed that she been exposed to it too.Hoping to delay the trial.But was seen on youtube at a big MAGA do that night.
All these sacrifices for Trump but she’ll be dumped soon enough.

Small satisfaction but still I feel happy about the outcome.

2 Likes

Wow … that’s far more than I expected … and Trump won’t like it … :exclamation:

1 Like

I’m still astounded that his backers are willing to pay for all these lawsuits. If they’re not, where is that money coming from?

Spotted at Trump International Tower

2 Likes

I understand that Trump has a number of fund raising mechanisms (called PACs or something) that are allowable fund raising devices. Anyone can submit money, large or small, to his campaign via these PACs. And many do - they raise hundreds of millions. The fact that they appear to be paying for Trump’s lawyers as much as they are paying for political campaigning seems, well, unusual. But every time he heads to a court the money coming in increases. I read that in the couple of years $37 million has been spent on legal fees by Trump.

2 Likes

PACs are political action committees. There are some limits around these PACs and limits of contribution. But the money he seems to raise from them does seem limitless, and how he gets around the accounting rules is astonishing. I haven’t researched enough to know how he’s getting around the rules of these PACs, but hopefully there will be some accountability at some point.

Investigation of PAC

It was reported in September 2022 that a Washington, D.C., federal grand jury had issued subpoenas to several witnesses seeking information related to the formation, fundraising activities, and receipts of monies and expenditures of Save America. Among those subpoenaed were junior and mid-level aides to Trump during and after his presidency, Nicholas Luna (former personal assistant to Trump), the chief financial officer for Trump’s 2020 campaign, and the former chief of staff for Ivanka Trump. Dozens of subpoenas have been issued to companies that received money from Save America, including law firms.

Needless to say, Trump’s PAC is the worst of the pack.

Heaven knows how much I dislike Trump and despise him, but honestly 83 millions? Isn’t that a bit OTT? :scream:

That will give him even more grounds to play the victim of so called witch hunt imo.

1 Like

Trump put up a $91M bond to appeal the lawsuit then defamed E Jean Carroll again at a rally.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-defames-e-jean-carroll-again-at-rally-opening-the-door-to-another-lawsuit/ar-BB1jCYcu

We all knew it was only a matter of time.She has said in the past that they’ll sue again if he does it.

1 Like