Don’t The Younger Generation Like Pensioners?

But they don’t get to retire until much older and are having to fund a top heavy population

The Boomers have been the winners in the system and the youngsters are carrying the burden

So it’s not fair that the pensioners get a bigger increase than the workers

I had three jobs on the go when I was younger, and it didn’t kill me. Living on my own so only one wage coming in, then working for the minimum wage too, was barely enough to keep my head above water let alone save, but I did it with a second job.

Anyway, it’s not about workers paying for us oldies, to me, it’s about if people want to own luxurious things, have exotic holidays, flash cars and designer clothes, etc, they should be prepared to work harder for it, or else live more modestly, like a lot of oldies do.
We don’t all get huge inheritances, or have off-shore bank accounts and investments y’know.

5 Likes

But the working poor don’t have any of those things, they are struggling to survive.

Yet they still have to pay their taxes to fund a 10% increase for the many pensioners that do have luxurious things, exotic holidays, flash cars, designer clothes etc

Well none of us really have any idea how much anyone else has in the bank, nor who is better off than others, so it’s a pointless debate really.

All I know is, most of us worked for 50+ years, and now it’s our turn to rest.
Every one of us had to take our turn in paying taxes and supporting others, now its someone else’s turn.

5 Likes

Look we are paying out £5 million pounds a day to support illegal immigrants who we don’t know from Adam are not U.K. citizens and have never paid in a penny .
Why do pensioners have to take the rap?

8 Likes

No, I think there should be no state pension increase, or at most it should be fixed at the same percentage as the average pay increase or decrease in the public sector for the year

And the funds used to lower the income level at which pensioners can claim pension credit

I’m going to leave it there folks, because it’s bit of hobby horse of mine and I should know better than to bring it up on a site full of pensioners! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don’t want to bore :hushed:

Thanks for the discussion, though and all being civilised about it :+1:

3 Likes

Thank gawd don’t think my blood pressure could take anymore :grinning:

1 Like

That’s true. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

Back to the op, the young don’t like the pensioners, cos they assume they all voted for brex……( oops, nearly).

It’s because they’re young and stupid. I think we all were once.
Well, I wasn’t… stupid of course.
However, my bet is that they’ll begin to change their minds when they approach 60+

Yes, what was I saying about young and stupid?

I think you need to consider all the facts. The property boom was created by our generation wanting their children to buy a house, rather than rent, so more houses were built .
I had no children but worked all my life & the only reason I have a reasonable income is because I paid into a pension fund to provide for me when I was old…but we need to remember that those who paid into work pensions paid it from their earnings , along with paying for older peoples state pensions & even education for other people’s children!
My father died at the age of 56 so I provided additional money to help my mother and my 2 younger sisters. I even paid for their weddings.
Young people may think we had an easy life, but I can tell them that if they learned to budget their incomes better they would still have an easier life than today’s pensioners ever do.
I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years & beat cancer over the last 11 years, but over those health problems the only help I received was free ambulance to get me to & from the hospital for my chemo sessions.
Perhaps if younger people would welcome their elderly parents into their homes ( as i did with my widowed mother) I am sure they would also welcome that additional £1000 that came with them !

Increased prices for heating, petrol & food apply to all, including pensioners. Maybe these young people should appreciate the fact that the schooling the older people paid for was to assist them in getting better jobs , so they could have a better life! If it didn’t maybe they should lay the blame at their own door!

5 Likes

Would you ask the unemployed that have never worked in their lives but just grabbed the free money and all the perks that come with it… to do the same?

Thinking om the subject, have we not paid into national insurance- graduated pensions- works pensions etc all our working lives so we have some financial income as pensioners

We lived in a time when interest rates were really high, mortgage interest rates were 15%.
There were 3 day weeks, strikes and blackouts.
Usually only one parent worked, usually the man and the woman stayed at home to look after the children. … and some think we had it good!!

We still had to pay for other people’s pensions but it never occurred to us to resent pensioners getting it.
Many had worked so hard in their lives that as soon as they retired they dropped dead

4 Likes

Absolutely.
Another matter is that they keep increasing the state pension age. When I was working, it was 65 for men and 60 for women.
It feels like every year they are bumping them both up bit by bit.
It is true that in general people are living for longer, but unfortunately that doesn’t apply to all people.
Have they changed the retirement age for MPs?

evidence rather than rhetoric?

sounds like a case of overcrowded rats in a cage - the young turn on the old?

1 Like

The mail take

1 Like