Don’t The Younger Generation Like Pensioners?

Tank Yoo, Persevere!! :laughing:

Not sure on that, we’ve all had to pay in the qualifying years to get the full state pension,

That is what they would like again, by raising the state pension age.

@Artangel, Yeah, it seems a lotta people are born wiv bad backs
nowadays don’t it ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

I don’t believe all that malarky about how tough it is to be young these
days at all !
Most don’t go to work untill they are at least 22yrs old?
They have never ever done the washing up or cut the grass ?
They take a gap year when they finish educating themselves ?
And go on frequent foreign holidays with or without mummy and daddy ?
I won’t mention music festivals?
Then they complain they can’t save a house deposit ???
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

2 Likes

You have been reading the DM again Donk .
Why shouldn’t they go on foreign holidays with their parents it probaby cheaper than staying in the U.K. with the rip of prices demanded by ‘ staycations ‘

1 Like

I don’t agree with Katie Hopkins on much but she’s spot on with this one on young people and house deposits

Warning, she’s a bit sweary, don’t open it if that offends

https://fb.watch/dR8bXqWfCf/?fs=e&s=cl

Just as we did from our contributions for the outgoing generation, but I don’t remember any moaning from my age group.

1 Like

Maree your Tik toc link doesn’t seem to work
However I have seen it on Facebook and I agree with every word she says .

1 Like

I don’t blame them.I don’t like pensioners either,miserable old gits.

2 Likes

I’m not a pensioner yet, so agree with what you say, but by the time I get there it will be a much higher calibre :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t you pay for your pension during your working life (wasn’t it called graduated pension contribution?) and doesn’t it vary according to how long you contributed? I can’t see how any government can stop you getting it if you have paid for it.

The pension here is universal, everybody who qualifies gets the same and no one contributes toward it however it is means tested which I think is fair, I don’t get a full pension.

Its altered over the years, once the qualifying period of 35 years now I think it is, all you get is the max, circa £185, up until 2016 when the rules change anything after the 35 yrs went into additional S2P, (state second pension) thus topping up the state pension,

My bold.

The Graduated Retirement Benefit scheme was the first State scheme to provide earnings related pensions on top of the Basic State Pension. It ran from 1961 to 1975 and was replaced by the SERPS in April 1978. This is according to ABRDN dot com. If you’re paying into a company pension, you are, more than likely, not to be contributing to SERPS.

It’s the same with a civil service/crown pension. My statements includes the phrase → “SERPS - contracted out”

Yeah, them’s the words I was trying to remember. Says the same on my payslips.

1 Like

There have been so many changes to pensions!
I worked from 1968 to 1997 for the same company & as I contributed to the company pension fund I think I was paying a lower NI contribution , which meant that I would get the basic state pension… which I think is around £8000 a year. I then get my works pension which I contributed to for 30 years & that paid 2/3rds of my final salary… which currently increases in line with inflation.
My works pension contributions, from my salary were not taxed.
I was lucky because the company I worked for never used the pension fund for other purposes, as some companies did, & many people lost the pensions they had paid into. :worried:

We were originally contracted out, but that was with a final salary pension, in 94 it became a money purchase scheme , contracting back into serps, a payment was made by the company at the time for something that was the Guaranteed mininum pension, this sum was for the years we were contracted out, the monies paid to the state .Next year aged 66 I get according to the web site a not inconsiderable state pension, got to get there first though .the years I’m talking of were 78 to 94, according to my financial adviser its the highest state pension he’s seen.

That makes sense I haven’t lived in Britain since the very early 1970s, but I do recall graduated pensions and national insurance taken out of my pay.

I don’t think it’s a matter of the younger generation not liking us.
More to the point a lot of young & young families are struggling financially ,whilst many pensioners are very comfortably off. In my opinion the increase should be means tested.
Along with the winter fuel allowance, and that £10 Christmas bonus what’s that about get rid of it.
Also the bus pass …means test it or at least pay contribution towards the bus fare