Don’t Forget To Take Your Meter Readings Tomorrow

I think the advice is, to take your meter readings for gas and electricity tomorrow, the last day before the new prices come into force on 1st April.

Will you be submitting yours?

1 Like

I will and from there on I will know my new fuel costs :+1:

1 Like

Just submitted mine.

1 Like

I will.
It is also the last day of my fixed rate for dual fuel, so I have a double reason for taking meter readings.

1 Like

I always do mine on the 1st of the month and when I read yesterday advising people to take them on the 31st I checked back on the one I gave on 1st October and they hadn’t included any increased charges on that one it wasn’t until the one on the 1st November that they had charged me the increased charges, so I’ll stick to giving them on the 1st. That way I get an exact of how much I’ve used.

1 Like

I will now you’ve reminded me. I might even add a bit on, and subtract it from the next reading. :thinking:

2 Likes

Nope as I am on a fixed contract for another year.
Not sure why the nation should need to collectively take meter readings though. :smiley::smiley:

1 Like

ive done mine today , just in case it crashes tomorrow , when millions submit there readings

1 Like

Because the cost of fuel increases for 99% of the population tomorrow & sending in a meter reading means they. The Fuel companies. Cannot get away with estimating what your lower price fuel usage was & what your higher priced fuel usage is.

They also recommend taking a photo of the readings so there can be no debate, with your fuel company saying one thing & you saying something else. A photo is evidence.

1 Like

No need to submit mine - I’m on a Smart Meter.

2 Likes

Good point - hadn’t thought of that.

2 Likes

I submit mine (and take photo of it) every Monday, because for some obscure reason I can’t tell what I use, and I have no bill showing on my online account. I’m on a fixed price tariff anyway, but I still don’t trust them :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder !:frowning::frowning:
Donkeyman!

1 Like

I tried to submit mine online but their system says it can’t find any meters linked to my account so I can’t enter the readings to submit. :frowning_face:

It can’t find any tariff details either so I’m not sure if I can’t submit my reading because it’s the switch over day from my expired fixed rate tariff to the standard variable rate or if it’s a glitch in the site because they have so many customers accessing the site to upload their meter readings today.

Anyway, I have photographed the meters to prove the readings and I have sent the meter readings to them in an email, via their “contact us” query system.
I’ll just have to wait and see if they record my numbers - if they don’t, I’ll see what their estimated figures are and compare them to see if I need to complain or not!

1 Like

Another one here on a smart meter, so I won’t need to do it.

1 Like

A spokesman for Shell Energy said: “Our website is experiencing disruption as we deal with a surge in the number of customers trying to access their account. Our teams are working hard to keep it online and we thank customers for their patience.”

A spokesman for EDF said it was also aware of technical issues affecting its website and app when customers tried to submit meter readings. We are working hard to try and resolve this and would encourage customers to try again later and apologise for the inconvenience this is causing," he said.

A message on the British Gas website said it was also facing “some technical issues we’re trying to resolve as quickly as possible”. It said customers could still submit readings but warned it could take “a little time to update your account with the meter reading you provided today”.

E.On, Scottish Power and SSE are also experiencing problems with their websites, according to Downdetector, which monitors outages.

Greg Jackson, chief executive of Octopus Energy, said the energy company was currently receiving around 40,000 meter readings an hour whereas a normal day would be a couple of thousand. However, he urged people not to panic about submitting a reading before 1 April.

“I think with most companies, certainly with Octopus, you can give it any time in the next week and… we’ll apply it to the day when you took it,” he told BBC Radio 4’s World at One programme.

Mr Jackson added that he was “pretty sure that’ll apply universally”.

1 Like

They all must have been aware that this was going to happen but as usual did not bother preparing for it, basically sod the customer give me you money.

1 Like

Put my electric reading through at Octopus, but the site crashed before I could do the gas one as well !

1 Like

Just seen this on my local facebook page and as I said in my previous post, I always give my readings on the 1st of the month and when the rates went up in October they charged me the previous rates until the next month so was no problem. I’ll be doing my readings shortly as I always do on the 1st of the month.

1 Like

My fixed deal does not end for another year but thought I would check my account to find I am 200 quid in credit. Have increased my DD by a bit to give me a little cushion when I too will need to pay higher prices.

1 Like