Dog vitamins to sprinkle over food & dog homecooked recipe suggestions

Hi, Teddy has had tummy problems recently was totally off his pet food and he is currently having cooked chicken and rice to soothe his stomach. The vet thought that he may have a parasite infection so prescribed some antibiotics hence the cooked chicken helps him accept the meds too.

So I was thinking I wonder whether it’s feasible to just cook for him instead of buying pet food that is all processed and not necessarily that good for him. I’m still planning to use Iams as he is ok with that but he is used to having both dry and wet food so I’ve added some peas and carrots to the chicken and rice, then started looking online for recipes (with varying success). They seem to recommend some sunflower type oil (one said up to a teaspoon, another several tablespoons), I found that olive oil is not a great idea and that you shouldn’t over do the oil.

A site mentioned something called Dog Greens which is an american dog vitamin and mineral sprinkle on supplement but I don’t know of a similar UK brand. I don’t want to go down the Yumove route as he had a very bad reaction to that when the vet prescribed it last year.

Has anyone tried a home cooked diet for their dog? I would welcome any advice or guidance as I want to ensure Teddy has all the nutrients he needs.

1 Like

Well…I wouldn’t say I totally rely on home cooked food for my dog, but due to her digestive issues, I do a 60/40 home cooked - v - dog food combination. Mostly meat & veggies for her, and a few tablespoons of puppy milk twice a day. She seems quite happy…nothing upsets her and her energy is as it should be for an 11 yr old. Wainwrights wet food works for her as well

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/wainwrights-chicken-with-rice-and-veg-adult-dog-food-32x150g

1 Like

My sister’s Golden gets upset tummy sometimes, she finds live yoghurt helps, and recently has starting giving her pumpkin, which she loves and is apparently very good for doggies.

2 Likes

@AnnieS There are lots of ways to make your own I do occasionally not so much now with Gert but all the oldies got homemade meals but oddly all of their tummies got on with Butcher Tripe & Chappie original.

One I used to make for one of my oldies who was diabetic was this as a treat it makes about 80 small diabetic friendly treats from start to finish 5 minutes to make 15 to cook I used to give medication as soft enough to hide and get in.

• 680g beef liver
  • 60g wholemeal flour
  • 2 eggs
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a 25x40cm (10x38 in) baking tray with baking parchment.
  2. Place the liver into a food procoessor. Pulse until finely chopped. If you have room, add the flour and eggs, and process until smooth. Otherwise, transfer to a bowl, and stir in the flour and eggs using a wooden spoon. Spread evenly in the prepared tray.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the centre is firm. Cool, and cut into squares using a pizza cutter. The treats will have a consistency similar to a sponge. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.

I made smaller qty using half the qty of ingredients.

1 Like

@AnnieS My Gert has I “think” a intolerance of chicken & turkey I have never proved it but do not feed it now and no issues; but not game birds oddly.

I do make her a stew type meal every now and again
using
Stewing beef/sweet potatoes/carrots/celery/2 tbsps. vegetable oil/Veg stock but you could use instead use chicken stock

And make up as you would for yourself. Got to say Gert adores it. I use qty for about a pint of stock and about 300gms is is of beef couple three carrots/couple sweet potatoes couple pieces of celery.

For treats she adores also broccoli and Cauli stems and carrots. If fact the gas service engineer was eating a packet of crisps she never moved and I started to chop the cauli and she was right there for the stalk, having never been fed crisps etc

My dog has raw meat at least three times a week but lately I have been lightly cooking it so he doesn’t have it cold from the fridge . He also have some kibble he likes salmon and rice I try and get the high protein ones with no grain added .I think cooking for your dog is better than most canned food which is probably sweepings form the slaughterhouse floor.

Thanks Kazz I will have to try that stew. I was reading about sweet potatoes for dogs today and didn’t realise that it was so good for them. I was planning to check if celery is ok so thanks for confirming. I haven’t tried cauliflower before. Maybe will see how he feels next time I have some in.

Teddy has also never been fed crisps either or any junk food but sometimes family have fed him bits from their plate at dinner and I have to explain the vet’s advice about that, but not everyone understands that pets have funny tummies and don’t eat all the food we eat.

Teddy has never had raw food. I’ve heard this is good for dogs but I don’t really trust supermarket meat and now he’s getting on a bit and might have another tummy moment. I have noticed since cooking for him that he seems to prefer slightly warm food to anything from the fridge. I guess pets prefer room temperature particularly as they get older, a bit like some older humans.