Dog turns on stove and starts house fire

Dog turns on stove and starts house fire - BBC News (click for video)

A fire that caused considerable damage to a house in Parkville, in the US state of Missouri, was started by a dog that accidentally turned on the stove.

The dog managed to turn on the hob on by pressing its paw against a touch activation button, while trying to reach a pan of grease that had been left on top.

The owners were not at home when the fire began. Firefighters were able to rescue the dogs and no one was injured.

I’ve heard of dogs “destroying” kitchens in their search for food but that’s the first time of a fire being caused in such a search … :scream:

1 Like

A touch activated stove that you can’t lock sounds a little dangerous for kids and dogs.

It should take more than an accidental touch to start a fire.

4 Likes

There’s more video and info here:

Leaving a greasy pan on the hob with the stove safety presumably off and dogs in the house is undeniably the owner’s carelessness … :009:

2 Likes

That’s the other thing I wondered about. I assumed there would be a video camera in the house if the house is new enough for a touch stove, and there was. But no alarms?

I’ve seen some alarms that tell you if something is wet or hot or any number of dangerous situations. Weird that their alarm didn’t do that and alert them on their phone.

I quite agree. Especially if the dog is tall enough to reach the stove.

1 Like

Well I’m thicker than that dog … when I moved in to my new place I had to find the manual before I could figure out how to use my new hob.

I taught our dog to successfully switch off the stove - now we can’t get anything cooked proper!