Dog thyroid problem

Max has a thyroid problem for which he has medication. Unfortunately the pharmacy we use (Lloyds) has run out and their supplier can’t get it. We have tried others like Boots and no luck their either. We are trying to get our vet to prescribe an alternative but the staff there seem a bit incompetent - never return calls.

I know that this is a long shot but does anyone here have this medication?

Alfacalcidol 1.0 microgram

or something similar.

We would very much appreciate it - and even more so for Max…

So sorry, but I can’t help you there. Have you tried asking your vet for a prescription that you can use online?

I would personally phone up the practice and ask to speak directly to the vet, even if I have to wait for an appointment…he/ she should give you an alternate.

The veterinarian surgery isn’t very helpful. The vet might be but we cant get past the receptionists. The medication is prescription so we can’t get it on line - we usually get it the pharmacy. It is normally used for humans but they label the bottle as “Max the Dog”.

1 Like

Yes, we will try that tomorrow.

1 Like

You can get prescription medication online, you know. My son and daughter in law have always done this. I think they use animeddirect.co.uk, but there are several online companies that will fill a prescription request - and usually at a fraction of the cost that vet’s charge! Just google prescription medication for dogs online.

ETA: of course, you will need to attach a scan/photo of the vet’s prescription with your order.

Thanks.
We do actually do all the other medication on line.for myself and my wife but for whatever reason this Thyroid meds doesn’t. We even got the generic one - it costs less - but now can’t even get that. It’s a pain.

Oh that really is a pain. I do hope you manage to get of some soon. Or an effective alternative. Poor Max :disappointed_relieved:

Thank you kindly…

I’ve tried “where can I get Alfacalcidol 1.0 microgram”
It list things like Holland & Barrett Super MultiMineral 100 Tablets.
Nothing like the same thing…:frowning:

I found this site, if it’s any use? https://www.lifepharmacy.co.uk/products/alfacalcidol10mcgcapsules

Oh gosh Besoeker…that’s an awful situation to be in. I looked it up as well and saw it was for humans. Its not a medication I am familiar with at all, so I can’t help either with any advice other than what has been said. The receptionists have no business preventing your access to the vets. I would say they are contributing to animal abuse if they do that. Your Max needs his medication. Can you email the vet at all?

Thank you again Bathsheba!
PK and Bathsheba we will have another got at the morning. The email is at their office rather than the vet directly.

I do appreciate the help you are giving for us.

1 Like

I don’t understand this about yor vets, Besoeker?
Surely if they prescribed it, they will write you a repeat prescription!

If I need to speak to my vet, I just ring the surgery and ask for a call-back and they get the vet to ring me back, usually when he has finished consulting or surgery.
Failing that, why can’[t you just make an appointment to go and talk to him?

As for H & B, to my knowledge they do not write prescriptions, and if Max’s meds are prescription only, you will need your vet to write a repeat (which they will usually charge between £10-£20) and then you can take the prescription and buy it from somewhere like Bathsheba suggested - Animed.
You just send them the prescription ( I photo a copy first), and they will send it each month it is due.

I buy from any of these, and if you open the links, they tell you how to do it:

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only

Or . . . Prescription Medication | Pet Drugs Online | VioVet

Or . . . https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/

Lastly, how long has Max been on this medication?
Doesn’t your vet ever do a review and blood tests to check if the dosage is still appropriate, or needs altering even?

Besoeker, I hope you aren’t offended if I ask how long since Max was last tested?

I personally am not sure about keep buying his meds and it not going on his veterinary records, or him not being monitored, else how do you know if the dose needs adjusting?
Even our GP’s normally do medication reviews annually at least.

Also, just seen the PDSA recommend much the same. Have a look:

Check-ups

Your dog will need regular vet checks, and you will need to monitor for any new symptoms. Your vet may perform repeat blood tests to ensure your dog’s thyroid hormones are staying at the right level.

I am sorry you are going through this Besoeker. I’m sure it has you concerned, as you want to keep your bub healthy and well.

Can I suggest that when (not if!) you get to talk to the vet, you can ask him for an alternative medicine, in case this happens again.

Many things seem to be in going into short supply world-wide, so I think it’s best to have a backup plan for just about everything.

All crossables are crossed that you can get the meds you need.
And get them now.
Be well Max.

Not offended at all. Yes, Max has regular revues including blood tests.The problem here seems to be that no one seems to stocking be the medication Max usually takes. Today the vets surgery will get different a liquid. medicine - we hope.

Then there is the on-line one that Bathsheba suggested. We have to get the prescription back from the vet’s surgery.

Thanks for the help you guys are giving us!

Good luck Besoeker.
Hope you manage to get it sorted because I doubt you will be able to buy prescription medicine, without a prescription. The pharmacies daren’t do it.

We got the stuff!

Thank you all for your support! Very much appreciated.

2 Likes

Well done.
Did the vet do the prescription for you?