Dog owners warned switching to walking harness could land them with £5,000 fine

yes R i did know , ive been a member since 2013, with a 2 yr absence being a carer.

Ive followed all your dog stories , Kennel as well . :smiley:

1 Like

I got a fan everyone. How about that

2 Likes

@Danny @Morticia have either of you tried volunteering to walk dogs at a rescue or similar?

2 Likes

You have more than one but we are a secret society. LOL

I take photos for 3 dog shelters for their websites. So prospective owners can have a look. It’s fun, but not the same.

3 Likes

when we bought ours it was more or less on its last leg so to speak as in getting run down. It took Sue and I seven years to get re-establish and make the place half decent. to give some idea when we took over there was only about 350 clients on the books, When we so we left we had 5,500 on the books and full or nearly full most of the year.
below one of the kennel blocks transformed from broken concrete floor and rusted through kennel bars ,let alone dangerous electrics and no security cameras.
So new fronts- I built the half walls dividing the kennels- new electrics ( I did)- new floor and security cameras everywhere

2 Likes

Our dogs have a ID tag but only with our surname and phone number. Not the name of dogs. They are microchipped and these days the breeder does it and it’s transferred into our name. They don’t have a harness and have a proper collar. Don’t use flexi leads they’re terrible trying to control a dog and the police won’t do anything because they have other things worse to worry about.
If the dogs are trained well like mine a ordinary lead on the collar is fine.

2 Likes

We walk our Bassett Hound on a harness as the collar is useless. Bassett’s! have so much loose skin under their chin that the lead falls off her head at the slightest pressure. But she stills wears a collar with a name tag on it.

3 Likes

All our dogs and our cat had collar tags and chipped. What I would say is try training an Afghan Hound Even a well know TV Trainer Barbara Woodhouse failed miserable. Oh yes we crossed swords often at shows ,she hated the sight of me because i showed her up at an outdoor champ show. But that is another story

1 Like

I’m really sorry. This I would find very disturbing. Our dogs bring me so much joy I can’t imagine not having one. What about a tiny Yorkie poo or some type of miniature hybrid? They’re tiny; average about 4 to 5 pounds.

4 Likes

My last dog was a rat terrier. I love small dogs. I want a miniature pincher, but I live in a small one bedroom and I want room for any dog to run around. I’ll wait I’m looking for a bigger place with a yard.

4 Likes

So this is only temporary. A bigger place with a yard sounds fabulous. Everyone should have a dog. :grin: I wish you the best in picking out your furry companion. Small dogs are awesome. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I thank you, however the dog usually picks me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’d be bringing them back home with me and be had up for dog theft.

This is just yet another express clickbait non news headline. The law has been around since 1992 and isn’t enforced.

1 Like

Can’t find any mention of a harness in the legislation :

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/901/article/2/made

Subject to paragraph (2) below, every dog while in a highway or in a place of public resort shall wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on the collar or on a plate or badge attached to it.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not apply to—

(a)any pack of hounds,

(b)any dog while being used for sporting purposes,

(c)any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin,

(d)any dog while being used for the driving or tending of cattle or sheep,

(e)any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces or Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise or the police force for any area,

(f)any dog while being used in emergency rescue work, or

(g)any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.

Oh is it? It came through on my phone from other places, but when I looked online to post it here, the express was the first I saw. I didn’t know it had been since early 90’s! :astonished: As if there aren’t more newsworthy items to report on! :roll_eyes:

A harness is the best. My dogs are chipped and their harnesses are tagged.

it says only one dog owner has been fined. Probably reported by some dog hater or perhaps the dog was a pest. But a cocker spaniel isn’t a dangerous breed. I think the legislation was to prevent strays or control dangerous dogs but it was brought in before dogs were chipped. These days most are chipped so this is a silly law to apply to all dogs. I can understand why it was important before chipping came in.

2 Likes

That’s great Danny! At least you’re contributing to those lovely fur babies finding a home!

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes